31| Claiming you

As dusk settled over the college campus, the evening sky stretched out above

As dusk settled over the college campus, the evening sky stretched out above. The trees, adorned with twinkling lights, illuminated the surroundings as the scattered crowd converged upon the grounds where the singer had arrived for his concert.

After a grueling day of laboring under the blazing sun, delivering speeches and orchestrating the event, I finally found a moment to catch my breath. Yet, amid the hustle and bustle, my attention was unswervingly drawn to Roohi. Since yesterday's phone call, hearing her chilling scream, a burning sensation had infused in my heart.

I've never been one to wear my emotions on my sleeve, but being with Roohi seems to stir something deep within me. It's as if her presence alone is transforming me into someone different-a person who isn't just a mechanical routine of waking up, going to work, returning home, having drinks with a friend or two, and getting laid. I hadn't even realized the depth of my loneliness until now.

Caught up in the whirlwind of responsibilities as the host, I lost sight of Roohi amidst the sea of people. The network glitch prevented me from reaching out to her. Now, with the college deserted, everyone gathered on the expansive grounds where Sonu Nigam was performing, it struck me that Roohi was likely immersed in the joy of experiencing her favorite singer live.

Perched on the stairs outside the library building, I joined Rahul for a beer. With a thoughtful sip from his bottle, he shared his longing.

"I just wish to return home to my daughter and wife," he murmured. "But I suppose you must be enjoying it...It's your kind of scene. Isn't it?"

As I took a sip from my beer bottle, Rahul's words lingered in my mind. Not long ago, I would have eagerly embraced the festivities, as I always did. Throughout my college years, I was so immersed in pursuing my career goals that I didn't take the time to fully enjoy the moments and experiences that college had to offer.

Having secured my job, I threw myself into enjoying life, frequenting clubs every week and basking in the attention of women. But now, that lifestyle holds no appeal for me. All I desire is to have Roohi with me. I ache to hold her close, to feel the essence of her being, to hear her gentle voice, and to savor the taste of her lips, like cherries on a summer's day.

"I don't know. I guess I'm getting old like you."

"Welcome to the club, man! You're soon to be 30." With a hearty laugh and his unique accent, he gave me a comforting pat on the back.

Samiksha approached us and took a seat beside me as the history professor continued to flirt with her. With an excruciating smile, she said

"I can't believe we've managed to pull off the entire festival without any hiccups. The guests and the entire college must be thoroughly impressed with our efforts."

"Us? I didn't see you doing much of the work while Nishaan immersed himself too much. Look at those bags under his eyes." Rahul pointed out, taking a sip of his beer and looking up at the sky and I couldn't help but chuckle in response.