Friends

The rest of the week went by fast. I really am enjoying my classes. Especially the ones Sienna and I have together. We have been getting closer lately, she really opened up to me about not feeling included in her friend group, but they're all considered "popular" and she's too scared to leave.

It's Friday evening and I just got back from a soccer meeting. They gave us all the info and said tryouts would start Monday.

All of a sudden, I get a text from Sienna

"Hey!! Kinda bored, wanna come over?"

"Sure, I'm gonna eat first and then be over in a few."

"Sounds good :)"

I walk into the kitchen and look for the bread to make a sandwich. We've only been here for a couple weeks so I still don't know where all the stuff is in the cabinets.

My mom walk downstairs and grabs the slice of cheese I was about to put on the sandwich, shoving the whole thing into her mouth.

"Really?" I ask, a smile covering my face so she knows that I am joking.

"I was hungry. Also, you get lunch breaks at school, I had a twelve hour shift. Mama needs some fuel."

"What patients did you have today?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary, a couple broken arms, sprained ankles- OH!"

"Yes?" I ask. Waiting to hear what was so shocking.

"The most gorgeous man came into the ER today. His daughter sprained her wrist and i was trying to wrap it up, but he kept staring at me and I thought I was gonna pass out."

I started to laugh. "Oh really, had to be quite the man I guess."

She smirked at me. "His name is Mark, and he gave me his number."

"Oh shit. What does he look like?"

She opened her phone to a picture of the guy, he's alright. Maybe for a 45 year old woman. I think I am just destined to be alone because I've never looked at a guy and been like oh yeah he's hot. I can appreciate their attractiveness sometimes, but am never actually attracted to them if that makes any sense.

"He's alright. For you."

"For me? What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean he's like 40, I'm not gonna find a 40 year old dude attractive mom, that's just weird."

"Fair enough." She laughed.

"Okay well I'm heading out, going to a friends house."

My mom gasped. "Baby!!! You made a friend already? I'm so proud of you!" She hugged me and started kissing the side of my head.

"It's not like it was on purpose, I ran into her in the hallway."

"And she wasn't pissed? Seems like a pretty sweet girl if you asked me. What's her name?"

"Sienna, and yeah she's nice. Her friends are kinda shitty though, they all look and talk and act the same."

"Ugh, like the plastics." She rolled her eyes.

"Yeah but they're not that pretty."

We both laughed at that. It's harsh but true, you can't be rude and average looking. Pick a struggle.

"Okay, I'm headed out."

"Alright, be home by midnight. Love you."