Chapter 32

Nate

Nov. 2014, Reisenshaft warehouses

"What's the word, Bryant?" Ben asked the agent on the other side of the line and turned on the speakerphone as they took the exit of the main road.

The thing extending ahead of them could barely be called a road at all, as it was just an unused patch of dirt wowing between heavy trees deeper and deeper until Nate could barely see the main highway that they had just left.

He checked the screen of Nik's tablet once again to see two small spots still blinking red and sighed quietly. One of his fingers brushed over one of the spots, praying with all his might that it was what he thought.

"We arrived five minutes ago, but nothing seems out of the ordinary so far. The place looks to be deserted. Should we get in?" Agent Bryant asked.

"Not yet. We don't know how many of them there are and where they are holding the girls. Wait for us; we will be there in five." Ben said and hung up.

"Don't worry, Nate. I am sure she's okay. Nura is one tough cookie." Ben said as he raised one of his hands from the wheel and tapped Nate's shoulder.

Nate nodded, desperate to believe in Ben's words, but the dread of not knowing proved too powerful to resist as his mind drifted to a conversation he'd had with Nura just a few hours before she was taken.

"Can I ask you something?" Nate said while watching as Nura strutted across the room completely naked with not even an ounce of shame.

Not to say that it bothered him much, or at all, since the view Nate had from his spot on the bed was nothing short of spectacular.

No, it didn't bother him at all to see Nura like this, except that the sight proved too distracting as Nate was trying to start a serious conversation with her, and his mind kept sliding into the gutter.

He shook his head as the memories of Nura's throaty moans and desperate pleas to 'go harder' and whispers of 'take me" swirled around his mind and made certain parts of his anatomy wake up and take notice.

"Sure," she said as she pulled a robe over her curvy frame and turned around to look at him, her head slightly bent to the side and a curious expression coloring her face.

"What did Ben mean when he mentioned you were more interesting when you were a moot last night when you wouldn't stop teasing him?" Nate asked. It was something that he'd noticed the night before and meant to ask her but kept forgetting.

Nate thought that there was a funny story behind it, but at the haunted look that crossed over Nura's face as soon as the words left his mouth, Nate instantly regretted ever opening them at all.

"Oh... well..." she started to stutter and looked down to her feet.

"You know what, forget it. It was a stupid question." Nate said quickly, seeing how uncomfortable the question was making her as the tension returned to her body, and she stood rigid at the bottom of the bed.

She shook her head and glanced at him for a second before walking over to the window and letting out a sigh.

"It's fine, it's a legit question. I am just being stupid about it."

She closed her eyes and took a big breath, the window glass in front of her fogging slightly as she let it out again.

"Bad 'things' happened to me that first night when I was taken, and because of it, I refused to talk." she said quietly and paused for a moment, and Nate was sure that those 'things' she mentioned were replaying behind her eyes.