ғɪᴠᴇ

"Girl," Zahra exclaims, eyes roaming around the house

"Girl," Zahra exclaims, eyes roaming around the house. "Your man's house looks so good."

I roll my eyes, holding out printed pictures of two different kinds of flowers. "First off, he's not my man. And secondly, which of these do you think is best for the engagement party?"

She whirls around, tapping her chin in thought. "The second."

Flopping down on the floor, she crosses her legs underneath her, making sure to face me. "Isa?"

I hum in response, my mind on different thoughts.

"You and Valerio are getting married," she starts and I lift a brow at where she was heading. "Why not make the most of it?"

"What are you saying, Zahra?"

"You both can...you know...fall in love and actually be a thing."

I throw my head back in laughter, my body shaking as I shake my head in disbelief. When I was finally settled, I search her face for any sign of joke and the smile leaves my lips when I find out she wasn't joking.

"Are you...serious?" I ask, letting out a scoff when she nods.

"You've got to be kidding me Zahra," I push myself off the sofa, setting the pictures down before checking the list of cakes for the wedding. "We can't fall in love, we can barely stand ourselves."

"This happens in books. In the marriage of convenience, the couple always seem to fall in love." Zahra interjects, trying to convince me but my mind's already made up.

"That's in books Zahra, this is real life. Fairytale doesn't exist in real life. There's no such thing as happily ever after." I snap and she remains quiet, suddenly feeling bad. "Have you forgotten what he did to me years ago?"

Zahra has always been the one who believes in true love and coincidences meanwhile I believe in facts. That's how it's always been and that's how I'm always the one buying ice cream and wiping her tears when men don't meet her standards.

"I just want you to be happy," she replies timidly, playing with her braids. "All you've ever done after school was work. You deserve love and happiness."

My heart melts at her statement but I know, I know there isn't love for me out there so I should just save myself from the delusions.

"I'm happy that you think that, I really am, but that's not what I'm up for now and certainly not with Valerio."

She nods, accepting my decision and I just smile back.

My mind goes back to the issue at hand and I groan. I have the worst fiancé ever. A day after the family meeting and date set for the wedding, Valerio went on a business trip, leaving me alone with the preparations.

He's meant to be back today so we can meet with the photographer for engagement shoots.

He claimed and I quote, ‘I have a business trip to go to.’ and he's been gone for more than a week. The timing was all too convenient and it's already so obvious he's avoiding me.