7 - Kaiju No. 9

So, as to why chapters are pretty shorter, I tend to cut off the unnecessary fat when it comes to writing stories based on shows. You're welcome.

-

Iharu looks at the disguised Kaiju No. 9.

Iharu: Hey man, you're in the middle of an ongoing combat zone. You have to leave and only come back once we're done.

No. 9 points at Iharu.

Iharu: Huh?

Reno's eyes widen remembering what happened the last time 9 appeared.

Reno: IHARU, GET DOWN!

Reno shoves himself into Iharu, who ends up getting hit from a spike from No. 9.

9: Oh, dear. I was trying to pierce your heart. Does this transformation make it harder to land my shots?

Iharu bleeds out from his chest.

Iharu: Dammit...

Reno: You won't have to worry, your suit and seal the wounds!

Iharu glares at 9.

Iharu: You bastard... what the hell are you?!

Reno: It's a kaiju. A shifty one at that!

9 swaps back to its normal form.

Reno: It's gotta be the same one that showed up at the exam.

Iharu: Really? The same one who took down Shinomiya, MacCloud, and L/N?

Reno: I think so.

The two only look upon 9 gazing at them.

9: Well. I'd certainly hate to go back empty handed. Perhaps I should bring home a live specimen of a Defense Force Officer.

Reno instantly presses the earpiece on his right ear.

Reno: Platoon Leader, there's a humanoid kaiju. Send backup!

Static is heard over the earpiece.

Reno: Platoon Leader! Can you hear me?

9 chuckles.

9: I figured out how those little communicator things of yours work. This whole area is completely undetectable and unreachable by anyone outside of it. It's a trick I made to help me hide amongst you humans. But I've also found out that it's very useful for hunting your kind like the animals you are.

Reno leaps to the side, but is hit in the hip by another spike.

Iharu: Reno!

9 then shoots Reno in the leg, taking out a large chunk of his tendon.

9: Hm? Even now, my shots aren't hitting their mark.

Reno continues to breathe steadily after being hit twice. But he manages to dodge another shot. The shot cuts through a stop sign, severing it in half.

Iharu: What?! You could see that coming?!

9: I see that I was right.

Reno fires back, but his rounds are blocked by 9's arm.

9: Huh?

Reno turns his head to Iharu, his face tense.

Reno: Get out of here and call for backup!

Iharu: No! No way! You can't expect me to ditch you at a time like this!

Reno dives into Iharu, another shot goes by as it hits him in his shoulder. The two then get back up.