• 08: 𝑩𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝑪𝒐𝒏𝒇𝒍𝒊𝒄𝒕 •

Tail flicking nervously, you uneasily stood next to Kaeya—opposite of the hydro abyss mage that had appeared seemingly out of nowhere

"Don't worry little dragon, you'll be perfectly safe as long as I'm here." The man planted a tan hand on the top of your head, somehow finding it in himself to mess with you even in this situation.

The creature lifted its wand above its head the moment Kaeya glanced away, dancing around as it began to chant an attack spell.

Before either of you even got the chance to move, a burst of fire came from the entrance—multiple flame projectiles shooting past the both of you and attacking the mage before it could finish its spell.

Turning to the side just in time, a flash of red and black zipped across your vision—heading towards the disoriented abyss monster in order to grab its face with a gloved hand.

The sudden attacker was an unknown man dressed in almost all black—his long, dark red hair that matched the shade of his eyes tied into a low ponytail without much care.

With a monstrous show of strength from the newcomer, the mage was launched through the air inches away from both you and Kaeya, you would having been hit if it weren't for the cavalry captain tugging you to the side just in time.

You were wholly confused as you watched the red-head quickly take down the enemy using his flaming claymore—Kaeya, on the other hand, looking about ready to start yawning as he watched on with a blank expression.

Wincing when the abyss mage brutally slammed against a pillar and knocked out cold, you had half a mind to hide behind Kaeya when the unknown man turned to send a glare towards the two of you.

Well, mostly at the man next to you.

"Knights of Favonious...Always so inefficient." He spat, Kaeya beginning to clap his hands with a cold smile.

"Agree to disagree." The blue-haired male beside you shrugged, now adjusting one of his gloves. "But, your involvement in this just made things a whole lot more interesting."

Easily picking up on the tension that crackled between the two men, you flit your hues back and forth between them as your wings fluttered anxiously behind your back.

Picking up on the movement, the opposing male's crimson glare settled on you instead of Kaeya—your face already breaking out into a nervous sweat as you shrank under his stare.

"Who are you?" He stalked closer a few steps, his low, monotone voice making you feel like you were being interrogated.

Kaeya planted a hand on your shoulder, tugging you a bit closer to his side as he took it upon himself to answer for you.

"She's a traveller visiting Mondstadt. She and her companions are aiding us with our dragon problem."

You swallowed the lump that had formed in your throat, looking up at the stranger through your lashes as he came to a stop a couple feet away.

"I don't remember asking you...I was asking her." He grumbled out, eyes never wavering from your (e/c) hues.

Terrified and very much intimidated, you stiffly raised your hand and offered it to the towering man, your tail instinctively wrapping around one of your thighs.

"H-Hello, uhm, I'm (Y/n). I appreciate you c-coming to our aid." You squeaked out, having to bite the inside of your cheek to keep from flinching when he wrapped his hand around your own noticeably smaller one.

"...Diluc." Was all he answered with, blood-red eyes flitting over your appearance for a couple more seconds before he released your outstretched appendage and stepped back.

"I think you scared a few years off her lifespan." Kaeya chuckled, ruffling your hair again. You let out a growl, pushing him away by his wrist so he wouldn't mess up your hair any more than it already was.

"I did nothing to warrant such a reaction." Diluc crossed his arms, watching the interaction between you and Kaeya with narrowed eyes.

"You should probably work on your facial expressions before asking somebody to introduce themselves, she looked about ready to bolt." Kaeya shot back with a sigh, shrugging.

'Get me out of here...'

🥀🥀🥀

You trudged out of the temple behind Kaeya and Diluc, the former talking your ear off more than usual for some reason as he ranted about this and that.

Looking up, your eyes widened a little to see that above you was no longer the dark clouds from before—instead the sky was now clear and calm, like nothing had ever happened in the first place.

"Looks like our comrades cleared the other two temples successfully little dragon." Kaeya grinned, relief coursing through your body as you let out a small sigh. "That's only the first step of course. We still have plenty of work to do so we should head back as soon as possible."

You slumped again in disappointment, ears drooping while Kaeya snickered at your despair.

Diluc turned towards the both of you, making you pause as he solely focused his gaze down into yours.

"This is where we part ways. Don't let the Knights of Favonious drop any more of their work onto your shoulders." Diluc crossed his arms, yourself shrinking under his disapproving glare, "Wanting to help out is one thing, but do not let them dump their menial tasks into your unwilling arms." Raising a gloved hand, Diluc gently knocked a knuckle against the middle of your forehead, his cold gaze seeming to almost...soften for a split second.

"Farewell."

With that, the man turned and left, not sparing even so much of a glance at Kaeya who stood off to the side with a tight smile.

You gently rubbed at your forehead, the warmth from the pyro user still lingering where he had touched, even when he had already disappeared around a corner.

Too caught up in your own thoughts, you were unable to see the slight narrowing of Kaeya's single visible azure eye as he watched you dazedly stare off to where Diluc had gone.

🥀🥀🥀

"Sometimes I feel like the stars are looking down at me; judging me for a sin I've committed...and I'm disappointing them even more by not remembering what I've done."
-(Y/n)