Ripple Effect {Chapter 8}

Hey, it's been a minute since I updated you, reader. Remember how I said turning 18 changed everything? Well, brace yourself because the drama's just starting.

So, where were we? Right, counting down to 18. Can you believe it's almost here?

With my dad's death and potential love interests already in the mix, now my 18th birthday is looming, promising even more chaos.

Get ready, reader. This story is nearing the true crazy.
───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────
Thursday, August 1st.

For the first time in a long while, I found myself actually looking forward to going to school. It meant getting away from the drama at home, and, more importantly, from Cassidy.

As fucked up as it may sound, Cassidy is in a very unstable state, and I'm at a loss for how to respond. I know I should support her and our child, but I don't think she fully grasps the impact this will have on both of us.

I take responsibility for the situation; I know it's my fault. But I'm also worried about the effect it might have on my education, my chances of going to college – shit that really matters to me.

All of that was just my shower thoughts. I couldn't wait to go downstairs to face my mom and sister.

I have a feeling Camila told our mom about the pregnancy, and I'm not up for that conversation.

With a deep breath, I made my way downstairs, bracing myself for whatever awaited me. As I entered the kitchen, I found my mom sitting at the table, sipping her morning coffee. There was a tense energy in the air, one that made my heart race with anxiety.

"Morning, Mom," I greeted her, trying to keep my tone casual despite the knot of nerves in my stomach.

"Morning, Andrew," she replied, her voice neutral but her eyes betraying a hint of concern.

I forced a smile, attempting to hide my apprehension. "Everything okay?"

My mom set down her mug, her gaze lingering on me for a moment before she spoke. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

My heart skipped a beat, my mind racing with possibilities. Had Camila already fucking snitched about Cassidy's pregnancy? I braced myself for the inevitable confrontation.

"What is it?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

My mom hesitated, choosing her words carefully. "Chico, I have noticed you have been keeping yourself away from the house. I get that you are a teen, you have friends, but I'm worried about you. Is everything okay?"

Relief washed over me as I realized that my mom wasn't aware of Cassidy's situation. But her concern only served to heighten my anxiety, reminding me of the weight of the secret I was carrying.

"Yeah, everything's fine," I lied, forcing a reassuring smile. "Just stressed about school and stuff."

My mom studied me for a moment, her expression unreadable. "Okay, well, if you ever need to talk about anything, I'm here for you, okay?"

I nodded, grateful for her concern even as guilt gnawed at me for keeping the truth from her. "Thanks, Mom. I appreciate it."

As her expression remained unreadable, she continues, "Oh by the way, you have to take Camila to school today."

"I turn around, my fingers releasing their grip from the cold metal of the doorknob," I say with a tinge of irritation evident in my voice. "Why, exactly?"