Panic {Chapter 16}

TW: This chapter contains sensitive topics. Reader discretion is advised.
————————————————————————

With a forceful motion, I threw my backpack down to the side as I reached our room, the sound echoing in the empty space. My heart pounded in my chest as I braced myself for the confrontation ahead.

Walking in, I noticed our bathroom door was unlocked, the sound of running water adding to the tense atmosphere.

"Cassidy," I demanded, knocking at the door, "We need to talk. Now."

She unlocked the door, her eyes looking puffy and red, a stark contrast to her usual composed demeanor. But my anger clouded any sympathy I might have felt.

I began, my words charged with frustration, "Cassidy, just what the hell is wrong with you? Leia showed me your text chain. I was going to keep my promise. You didn't need to send FUCKING threats. Jesus, what are you, 16?"

Cassidy just looked at me, her expression unreadable, as she slid her back down against the wall, her figure appearing small and vulnerable against the stark white tiles.

I scoffed, feeling a surge of irritation. "Great, just great. Now you're not gonna take accountability or anything for what you said. What the fuck is wrong with you, Cassidy?"

She remained silent, the only sound in the room the steady drip of water from the faucet.

Losing my cool, I unintentionally raised my voice, the frustration evident in my tone, "Answer me, for fuck's sake! Are you deaf?"

Cassidy looked at me, tears welling up in her eyes, as she began to cry, stuttering and stumbling over her words. "S-something's wrong, Andrew."

Feeling a pang of anxiety, I toned down my anger. "What?" I said, confusion evident in my voice.

As Cassidy doubled over in pain, clutching her stomach, I rushed to her side, my own hands trembling with fear and uncertainty. Panic surged within me as I realized something was seriously wrong.

Frantically, I searched for my phone, my fingers fumbling over the screen as I dialed 911. The operator's voice was distant as I struggled to articulate the situation, my mind consumed by the unfolding crisis.

As I hung up the phone, a wave of dread washed over me. My heart raced, and a cold sweat broke out on my brow. Panic seized me, gripping me in its suffocating embrace.

My thoughts flashed back to the night my dad passed away, the sense of helplessness and despair flooding back with overwhelming intensity. The memory consumed me, trapping me in a nightmarish loop.

Gasping for air, I fought to regain control of my racing thoughts. But the images continued to haunt me, relentless in their assault on my senses.

With trembling hands, I reached out for Cassidy, desperate to offer some semblance of comfort amidst the chaos.

"Andrew, calm down," Cassidy managed to say between gasps of pain. "Help me up."

Her words broke through the fog of panic, and I nodded, taking a deep breath to steady myself. With gentle but firm hands, I helped her to her feet, trying to ignore the fear gnawing at my insides.

Together, we made our way out of the bathroom, Cassidy leaning heavily on me for support. Each step felt like an eternity, the weight of uncertainty pressing down on us with each passing moment.

Suddenly, the sound of approaching sirens shattered the silence, jolting me back to the present. Relief flooded through me as I realized help was finally on the way.

I guided Cassidy to the front door, my heart pounding in my chest as we waited for the ambulance to arrive. Every second felt like an eternity, the tension thick in the air as we braced ourselves for what lay ahead.

Finally, the sound of tires screeching to a halt outside signaled the arrival of the ambulance. With a sense of urgency, paramedics rushed into the house, their calm demeanor a stark contrast to the chaos that had consumed us.

As the paramedics load her up, I reassure Cassidy that I'll meet her at the hospital, quickly explaining that I need to refuel the car. After swiftly getting gas, I drive like a madman to the hospital, pushing the speedometer to at least 90 miles per hour.

Frantically, I burst into the hospital, my heart racing as I approach the front desk, desperately asking for Cassidy's whereabouts. The staff guide me, and I rush to her side.

Inside, I find Cassidy with a doctor by her side, who is setting up equipment to assess the situation with the baby.

The doctor, with a grave tone, explains the severity of the situation and requests that I wait outside while they conduct the examinations on Cassidy. It's clear from their demeanor that the situation is dire, and every moment is critical.

After what feels like an eternity of anxious pacing in the sterile hospital corridor, the door finally opens, and the doctor steps out, their expression a mix of empathy and regret. They approach me with measured steps, as if each one carries the weight of the devastating news they're about to deliver.

"Sir," the doctor's voice is gentle, yet tinged with sorrow, "I'm truly sorry to inform you that Cassidy has experienced a miscarriage during her first trimester."

My heart sinks as the words sink in, a numbness spreading through my body as the reality of the loss sets in. I feel a surge of emotions - disbelief, anguish, and profound sadness - all crashing over me in relentless waves.

The doctor goes on to explain the medical details behind the miscarriage, describing how it likely occurred due to chromosomal abnormalities or other underlying factors beyond anyone's control.

As I listen, my mind struggles to grasp the enormity of the loss, trying to comprehend how something so precious and eagerly anticipated could be snatched away so suddenly. The doctor's explanation provides some semblance of understanding, but it does little to ease the ache in my heart or the overwhelming sense of grief that consumes me.

As the doctor's words sink in, Cassidy's sobs fill the air, her anguish echoing through the sterile hospital corridor. Tears blur my vision as I struggle to comprehend the enormity of our loss. The weight of grief presses down on me, threatening to suffocate any semblance of hope.

Cassidy clings to me, her body trembling with grief and disbelief. Tears stream down her face, leaving a trail of anguish in their wake. I hold her close, my own heart heavy with sorrow, feeling the weight of our shared loss pressing down on us like an unbearable burden.

"Andrew, why did this happen? Why did I lose my baby?" Cassidy's voice quivers with emotion, her words choked with tears and sorrow.

I wrap my arms around her tighter, trying to provide whatever solace I can in this moment of darkness. "I have no idea," I whisper, my own voice thick with emotion. "This was beyond our control, Cassidy. We didn't deserve this, I promise you that."