S01E01&02: Friendship is Magic

Fade into a closed book resting on a stretch of grass. It is bound in brown leather, with gold bands on the spine, and the cover depicts a unicorn's head in gold with jeweled eyes. Zoom in as the cover opens to reveal "Once upon a time..." on the first page; when the screen is filled with blank whiteness, dissolves into a patch of dense clouds whose style suggests that they are part of the book's illustrations. The border around the screen reinforces the effect. A gentle female voice begins to narrate

NARRATOR: Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria...

In the second half of this, the clouds fade away and others slide out of view to expose the landscape. A town can be seen near a meandering stream, with a second one—made of clouds and rainbows—floating near it and higher than the peak of a nearby mountain. A city of white and gold projects from the nearly vertical precipice. Zoom in on this, then cut to a pair of winged unicorns standing back to back on a cloud; the left one is white, with a pink mane and long tail, while the other is dark blue with a lighter blue mane/tail. Tilt up slowly.

 NARRATOR: There were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought out the moon to begin the night. 

In time with these descriptions, the sun rises behind the white one and the moon and stars ascend behind the blue to take its place. The two sisters now appear on opposite sides of a slowly rotating yin/yang design—sides: pastel green and marked with the sun, and pastel blue with the moon.

NARRATOR: Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies. 

Dissolve to the sun in a clear sky and tilt down past the younger unicorn's lowered head; her narrowed eyes flash briefly before the camera stops on a group of ponies playing, eating, and working the fields

NARRATOR: But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth...

Pan to a nighttime area filled with sleeping ponies.

 NARRATOR: But shunned and slept through her beautiful night. 

Tilt up to her, on a cloud under a crescent moon

NARRATOR: One fateful day, the younger unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. 

Slow pan: the two face off, younger's head/wings lowered, before she turns away.

NARRATOR: The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one's heart...

Extreme close-up of her closed eyes, which open to show pink irises and fiercely narrowed, catlike pupils.

NARRATOR: Had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness.

A violet mist washes across the screen and clears to show the change: the younger sister's coat is so dark blue as to be almost black, and she wears blue armor on her head and chest. As she rears up, her long blue mane and tail billow behind her.

NARRATOR: Nightmare Moon.

Lightning strikes and the camera shifts to frame the Equestria settlements under a starless night and the crescent moon.

NARRATOR: She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night.

Dissolve to a sunlit hall in a palace and tilt down slowly to a group of five jewels attached by radial shafts to a gold hub, on which a glowing white sphere rests.