1.8 The First Time

"Nothing like a post-sex candid!"

~ Nick and Charlie by Alice Oseman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUNDAY 10.25pm

NICK

"What are you smiling about?" Charlie whispers to me in the dark.

I smile wider, "How do you know I'm smiling?"

"I can hear you."

"You can hear me smiling?"

"Yup. Every time. Don't need a light on."

He sounds smug and sleepy. 

"Well?" He asks. 

"You." I tell him.

"Me? What about?"

"Just, you know, those little sounds you make..."

I can almost hear Charlie rolling his eyes in the dark. Now I understand why he can hear me smiling.

"Are you blushing?" I ask after a pause. 

"What do you think?"

I scratch my chin. "I think yes because this whole weekend you've blushed like crazy whenever I've mentioned the sounds you've been making..."

"Excuse me but you've been blushing too!"

"Oh yeah? When?"

"Um. All the time?!" He chuckles quietly, and I feel him rearrange himself next to me.  

"That's not an answer. I need specifics." I decide as Charlie wriggles his head underneath my armpit and pops up just next to my face, his curls tickling my shoulder. 

"Hmmm." Charlie's arm flops over my stomach, looks like he's settling in for the night. "Whenever I compliment you. Every time I say anything about how you're making me feel. Shall I go on or are you blushing enough already?"

He's right. I am. "You're a little shit sometimes, you know that?"

"But I'm your little shit. So, I guess you're stuck with me."

There's an unasked question in his words and I know he'll have trouble getting off to sleep if I leave it there and don't say anything else. 

"Good thing I like little shits then."

"All little shits?" He asks, ever so quietly.

"Only ones with dimples, curls, blue eyes, answer to the name of Charles Francis Spring and are currently in my bed..."

He breathes out slowly, as if he'd been holding it in, and squeezes me gently around my tummy. 

"And that I love..." I add on as casually as I can. 

"I love you too." Charlie whispers, his voice relaxed and sleepy, warm over my chest. 

I smile at his words and the warmth of his body beside me. 

"I heard that." He says. 

Monday 7.30am

CHARLIE

I feel like I could wake up with Nick forever, every single morning, and I wouldn't get bored. He's such an ambler, wandering in and out to the bathroom with no particular aim but somehow he's dressed and ready before I am. 

"Breakfast?" He asks, standing by the door, watching me with a small smile on his face. 

"Cereal. Please."