Holiday Season at Wyndall House

A/N: this chapter contains depictions of violence and a brief mention of p*dophelia

With Christmas day came the first fall of snow, and the entire family gathered in the informal drawing room to open the gifts they had gotten one another. Lucy felt herself tear up at the sight of the children opening their gifts, knowing that one day her own kids would be waking up to this on Christmas mornings, and it filled her heart with joy. Once the kids had opened their gifts, it was the adults' turn to exchange theirs. In the mental chaos that was the past few months, it had completely slipped Lucy's mind to purchase any gifts at all – she was too preoccupied with feeling empty. Fortunately, Benedict had taken matters into his own hands and had painted elaborate portraits of each person – from memory, amazingly enough – and given them to everyone as a joint gift, which everyone loved.

Margaret had given her a silver locket passed down from her grandmother, while the rest of the gifts were either jewelry or fancy cutlery, which were always an expected gift for a newly wedded couple to expect for months after their wedding. When everyone had finished unwrapping and exchanging their gifts, the children begged to be allowed outside to play in the snow, and the adults happily obliged. In all honesty, they wanted to have their fun in the snow too.

"Come on, Lucy, come and get me!" Hyacinth screamed as she hurtled a snowball towards Lucy.

"Be careful, will you, my child is in there," Benedict shouted after Hyacinth, unimpressed at his sister's mischief and making everyone laugh. Lucy chased after her and propelled snowballs her way, as did Gregory. Colin and Eloise were busy in their own corner of the garden trying to murder each other, also with snowballs, while Kate and Daphne were stood with the Mamas laughing as they chatted with each other. Benedict and Anthony also seemed engrossed in conversation while beginning to build what Lucy presumed was going to be a snowman. Eventually, though, Lucy tired and convinced Margaret and Violet to take her place with the two youngest Bridgertons instead. She marched back towards the house through the thickening snow, to where Daphne and Kate were now sitting, and sighed deeply as she took an empty seat beside them.

"You didn't last very long, did you?" Daphne joked.

"I'm absolutely exhausted. I do not know if I can do this for two more months," Lucy replied with a sigh. She turned her attention to Benedict and smiled at him growing frustrated with the snowman's arm, and Kate followed her glance.

"I imagine he is not helping either in that respect," Kate winked.

"What do you mean?" Lucy asked, quirking her brow in confusion.

"Our room is right next to yours, Lucy – we know you are certainly not getting as much sleep as you should be," Kate whispered as she leaned in towards Lucy.

"I think I shall join Simon and the children now," Daphne said as she scrunched up her face playfully, mimicking disgust, and walked towards where Simon was helping their babies walk in the snow. It was the most adorable sight – they could barely walk on solid ground yet, let alone mushy ice.

"I trust your concerns about the marital bed have been alleviated, yes?" Kate asked, refocusing the conversation. Lucy looked away and stifled a giggle.

"Completely, yes. He was attentive and careful the first time, and he has been just as considerate every time since – he just knows exactly how to please me somehow. I truly do not believe I would have this with any other man, you know," Lucy responded and Kate nodded knowingly.

"It is rare, to have with someone what you and I do with our husbands. I see the way he looks at you – it is true love, if it even exists," Kate smiled.

Lucy nodded in agreement, feeling her cheeks heat up at the conversation, and looked towards Benedict once again and smiled at the scene – he was now throwing the botched snowman at Simon. Kate and Lucy loitered for a while after, chatting aimlessly and watching their family play in complete adoration. It was true, Christmas did truly bring a measure of joy no matter the circumstances. Lucy found that she had not thought of her father's passing once since she had woken up that morning, which was something unheard of in recent months.