Chapter Nineteen

Baela runs her hand against the blunt edge of a sword wedged against dozens that made the Iron Throne. This was the first time she was touching it, even though she'd seem it countless times before on her visit to the Red Keep. Being here brings back memories of how her uncle Vaemond lost his head in this same room. She hears Joffrey say something about the throne, probably gloating again.

" Does it never get tiring? Sitting up here and looking down at the world down there "

" Power never gets tiring, my dear. Unless you don't know how to handle it properly "

" I bet your lady, Maegery would be thrilled to seat beside you while you torment the innocent souls that regard you as their king "

" You would feel the same sitting beside your king "

Baela sticks her tongue out at him to which Joffrey rolls his eyes. Their bater is interrupted by the arrival of a man, a dwarf whose presence immediately has Joffrey scowling. Whatever the man has to say must have been important, because Joffrey doesn't follow her even as his eyes trail behind her figure as she exits the room. It was nighttime and Baela knew this would be her only opportunity to return home, she was afraid if she waited longer she might be tempted to stay. She didn't doubt that word had already gone out about her absence. Even though Baela was used to leaving home for consecutive days in Driftmark, She was sure Queen Alicent wouldn't be as understanding as her grandmother was. The woman had standards and expectations which she insisted were met. She wants Baela to be a good wife just like Haelena and herself, to be miserable at the hands of their husbands.

Baela hums to herself as she walks through the corridors, there are guards stationed at some parts of the palace, though they tend to ignore her, she could always feel their eyes boring into her back as she passes by. She hears footsteps coming from the opposite direction of the path she was taking, when lady Magaery makes an appearance, Baela pauses in her steps. She doesn't have much of an opinion about the woman, neither a thrill or great dislike to be at her presence

" You must be Lady Baela '' Magaery says, her voice is soft and there is an ever present half smile on her face. Unlike Baela she seems to take great care in appearance, the Targaryen can't remember a time she saw Margaery looking improper. " It is wonderful to officially meet you. I believe you are very close to his grace "

" Not as close as you think " She tells her " Same here "

Margaery laughs dryly " I was told by someone that the both of you have been seen in....well, a very interesting position. And it comes to mind that you are one of the few women Joffrey seems to have an interest in "

" I don't know what you just said "

" Surely I mustn't spell it out for you. My future husband enjoys your presence, and I understand perfectly that men are bound to have an itch that needs to be scratched. However I wished Joffrey would have come to be for such things. " Her eyes rake over Baela's form, the distaste in her gaze was amusing to watch " Keep in mind that I will sit beside him and rule over the Sevens. Whatever he has with you might be fun now, but he tends to lose interest very quickly "

" You are suggesting I leave him be?"

" You seem like a smart woman. I do not need to tell you more "

" Then I thank her lady for the gracious advice "

" Yes lady Baela. I sympathise with you, however a king can only have one Queen, and that would be me "

" Me as well "

" I beg your pardon?"

" Goodnight, My lady "