18. the snow of dreams

"Darling, dearest, dead."

Observing his men, who are carrying food and furnishings into the pirate's ship, Dalton smiles graciously at the woman with black hair who is standing next to him.

"Dalton-san," Umekui says quietly, standing together with him.

"Yes, Umekui?" asks Dalton, peering at her (her eyes seem to be fixed on the sea in the vicinity of them as if the ocean captured all of the warmth she once felt).

"Do you realize what it means now that Wapol and his men have been killed?" she inquires carefully.

He stays still but his grin never fades (he had been waiting so long for the freedom to bring his smile back so it would not go now!).

"Yes," he says quietly, his fists tightly closed.

"I know a way to avoid the trials," she claims, glancing up at his dark gaze, then smiles as she observes her captain playing in the snow with Usopp and Chopper.

"What?! How?" he screams, staring at her with broad eyes.

"Listen to me carefully," Umekui said. "After I and my nakama depart Drum island, you will need to dial the nearest marines office-"

Dalton gasps, looks at her with panicked eyes, and cuts her with a shriek.

"The Marines! They are the hounds of the world government; why would I call them that? The intent is to avoid the trials of the world gover-".

"Shut up," Umekui cuts him off abruptly. She turns her deadly crimson glare on him, causing him to shiver and squeal (after all, this woman slaughtered a king and a knight in the blink of an eye). "I'm the one who is making the instructions."

Nodding, Dalton lets her know that he will now pay attention to her.

"You will call them and repeat the exact words, "Dazai had murdered the king and his entire army.""

Dalton froze and took a step back from her, his body shaking with fear.

"You-" he extends a shaky finger, "you are 'the Dazai'?"

It is impossible. She cannot be her, right? She can't be the woman whose mere mention causes every nation to panic. She can't be the world's monster, submerged in the blood of all the wars, massacres, and disappearances she cause.

She doesn't appear anything like he expected her to be; when he was by Wapol's side, he remembered his king pursuing this woman whose head could elevate him to the position of a world ruler.

A woman whose mysterious and tremendous abilities make all greedy men salivate at the prospect of capturing it in their grasp. She cannot be the woman who hails from an organization that makes children flee from fear and elders to weep out in terror.

Dazai, the devil's child, the prodigy mafia—Dalton heard an abundance of names and titles concerning her. But how come she's there with a crew of nameless pirates? How can she be the promised one Odasaku informed him about? (yet Dalton knows absolutely nothing regarding this man who promised him the freedom of his kingdom in a future Dlaton never conceived).

Umekui, or Dazai. Dalton doesn't know what to label it anymore. Smiles and winks.

"Yes. Don't I look monstrous enough to be Dazai, for you?" she asks.

No. Not all.

Dalton did not have a description of Dazai. Only his king and Shiki were aware of her because it was highly classified information.