II

Spiderpaw stayed in her state for three days, plainly refusing to eat or drink. She only ate one scrappy meal and then that was it.

Palebriar probed her to move multiple times, her gentle voice nearly convincing Spiderpaw everytime it met her ears.

Spiderpaw held fast, though. She simply reminded herself that the life she had been thinking of—the warrior's life—had been stolen from her. Even Petalcloud stopped by.

"Listen," the older she-cat meowed. "It was a surprise for all of us. I know you're anxious to try something new, but at least join Palebriar for some herb-gathering. Maybe you'll enjoy yourself."

Spiderpaw simply flicked her ear absently. "Antstar didn't give me a choice."

"And that wasn't fair of him. I know. I know. Don't worry, I chewed into him about it. But he's certain about his decision." Petalcloud sighed. "Just promise me you'll try?"

Spiderpaw huffed. "Okay."

"Good. Maplewhisker should be back in a bit to show you around the territory. And think about it! When the half-moon comes, you'll journey to the Pale-tree and speak with the Cats of the Ghost Forest."

Spiderpaw gave the older warrior a look. "I guess so."

"Good. Now, how about you go and eat? And apologize to Palebriar for leaving her so worried."

Spiderpaw got to her paws and entered the camp. She saw that a hunting patrol was returning, and she immediately turned their back on them, trying not to let the pain set in.

She looked around the camp for Palebriar. Patchcloud was right; it was time to apologize. Spiderpaw found her talking with Darkstone, one of the advisors.

The two cats quickly silenced whatever they were talking about as soon as Spiderpaw approached, but she did catch one name: Stoatnose. Spiderpaw was a bit disappointed that she didn't hear more, but she didn't voice it as she padded up.

"Ah, Spiderpaw!" Palebriar meowed. "You're finally ready to learn how to be a prophet?"

"I guess I'll try it out," Spiderpaw answered neutrally. "Why did you not tell me that you were going to make me your apprentice?"

"Oh, well it wasn't exactly my idea," Palebriar explained. "I was approached just before the meeting began."

"By who?" Spiderpaw insisted.

"Well, they asked me not to say. They said that they thought they had been shown an omen by StarClan in their dreams."

"So, Maplewhisker?" She guessed.

"No, we were approached together. If it was Maplewhisker he would've been sure that it was an omen immediately."

"Right." Spiderpaw answered flatly. Still, curiosity lingered within her. Who would've had a dream about her being a prophet? Had one of the Kits of Stars told them after being told by the Forest?

Spiderpaw's ears flattened against her head. It would be best not to throw around blame until she found out who. Besides, she had her own plan to get out of the prophets' den and into her rightful one.

"Palebriar," Spiderpaw began. "Has any cat ever switched paths as an apprentice? Like from prophet to warrior? Or the opposite?"

Darkstone interjected. "I know Patchcloud did." The tom meowed, his ear flicking. "Before your time, Palebriar." He answered the prophet's confused gaze.

Sensing that a story was coming on, Spiderpaw relaxed down onto her haunches to listen to the senior advisor.

"Let's see...hmm, yes. Patchcloud was some moons younger than me. I remember that when she was apprenticed to the prophet at the time, she was very upset and disappointed. She felt as though it was unfair. She approached the leader, Flystar, and begged her for a change of heart. She said that she felt drawn to the ways of the warrior.