VI

Spiderpaw was surprised when she was called back into the prophets' den after another long day of training. The heat was beginning to become unbearable—Spiderpaw felt like if she really tried, she could see the moisture in the air. Antstar and the advisors announced that patrols would be limited to only sunrise and sunset, as well as training.

It was just after when the sun began to paint the sky in beautiful colors when Spiderpaw heard a voice calling her from inside the prophets' den. As she poked her head in, she looked around. It was strange because she hardly even flinched at the strong scent of herbs anymore. Now, she could pick out the strongest ones: lavender and rosemary.

"Spiderpaw," Palebriar meowed, excitement in her rasped voice. "It's today! The day you're finally going to be made a real prophet apprentice and given a true connection to the Kits of Stars! Isn't that so exciting?"

"I forgot it was today," Spiderpaw meowed neutrally. Because that was how she felt. Neutral. It almost felt like she was giving up and resigning herself to a fate of sorts but it also felt like it was a new beginning. Excitement and nervousness curled up in her belly. She had heard stories of the Pale-tree, of how enchanting it was. How it looked like it had been touched by the Kits of Stars themselves.

Palebriar purred and walked over to Spiderpaw. "Come on now, let's make sure that you're clean and presentable for the Kits of Stars." She began to wash Spiderpaw, drawing her tongue across the younger molly's fur in long, delicate strokes. Then, after she was done, she pushed a bundle of herbs towards Spiderpaw. "Do you remember what these are?" She asked quizzically.

"Chamomile, for sure. Daisy leaves. Sorrel...and burnet?" The last was mostly a guess. The more niche herbs, the ones that weren't used commonly or were only present in a mixture or remedy or two were harder to remember.

"Good job. Watching your progress this past quarter-moon has been amazing," Palebriar smiled softly, giving Spiderpaw another fond lick on the cheek. "Soon enough, you'll be a full prophet, and I'll just be some elder telling stories about when I was proud to be in the same den as you."

"You'll never be some elder," Spiderpaw instantly retorted, but her eyes were soft. The weird way everyone was treating her had begun to fade, and now it felt like everything was back to normal, as though it was simply forgotten.

"If you insist," Palebriar chuckled in response, flicking her nose with her tail. "Now, those herbs aren't going to get eaten themselves, are they?"

Spiderpaw leaned down and lapped up the herbs. A shiver passed through her body from head to tail. Some feeling like warmth curled in her chest. But it was separate from the relentless heat that surrounded her and chased cats into the shade. It was a strengthening warmth. When Spiderpaw closed her eyes, she saw a faint vision. A mother's tongue, frantically lapping her head.

She re-opened her eyes to see that Palebriar was in the middle of saying something. She quickly lapped up her own herbs. "...and the journey may be more perilous than before, because of the distance, but it's still very worth it. That being said, are you almost ready, Spiderpaw?"

"Yes." Spiderpaw spoke without hesitation. For a few moments, she looked up to the sky. Kits of Stars, please allow me to converse with you. Please help me see you and understand you. I don't want to be lost.

"Let's go, then."

Palebriar led the way out of the den. They passed the betrotheds' den, where Larkkit and Marigoldkit were both peering out, Hollyfang hovering over them like a protective ward. "Good luck, Spiderpaw!" Larkkit mewed from the confines of the den. Spiderpaw gave the kit a friendly smile as they padded by.