XV

The full moon shone down upon the dens in MorningClan camp, giving the brambles and thistles which had woven them a silvery sheen. The scattered spray of stars twinkled against the ebony expanse. The territory was more familiar with cooler nights, and every few moments, a chilling breeze wandered through the camp, brushing cats' pelts and giving those unfortunate enough to be close to their den's entrance a cold embrace.

Spiderpaw was awake, but not for that reason. Since she had recruited Larkpaw into the investigation, she found it hard to rest, knowing that there was a killer in their midst. Not only that, but it was also time for the cats to meet and discuss what they had learned.

Slowly, like an unfurling leaf, she stretched out of her sleeping position with some discomfort as a breeze brushed against the tips of her fur. She sat up silently and cast a gaze over her shoulder, making sure that both of the prophets were asleep.

Upon confirmation, she crouched and began to creep towards the entrance. Seeing that Darkstone, who was on guard, appeared to be oddly alert, she looked around for a distraction. Unable to find one, however, she simply padded up to him.

He blinked slowly at her. "Everything okay?" The tom asked, although there was deep speculation in his eyes.

"Um, just using the dirt-place, sorry."

"Okay," he nodded, but as she passed him, she could feel his eyes on the back of her head.

Spiderpaw kept close to the path. She didn't want to admit it, but the thought of crashing through the dark like the night of Stoatnose's death made her stomach drop.

She was glad when the woods thinned around her, the swaying grasses of the meadow tickling against her legs. As the rocky slopes of the Training Quarry came into view, she picked her pace up into a run.

Comfreyheart and Larkpaw were quietly conversing, and both cats looked up as Spiderpaw came over the crest of the rocks. She ran down the hill to join them at the bottom. There, they would not be seen or heard.

"So? Have you seen any suspicious activity?" Spiderpaw asked, a faint tick of worry in her tone as she sat against the dry soil.

"Not exactly. Patchcloud's not acting differently. My mother seems a bit downtrodden, and I asked her about it. She said that she kind of misses Stoatnose. And Darkstone, well, he's impossible to read." Comfreyheart admitted, staring down at his paws.

Spiderpaw sighed. "Very well."

Larkpaw gave the other apprentice a strange look. "Were we supposed to be looking out for something? I mean, I've just been checking for any activity at all. I noticed that Petalcloud has been leaving camp more than usual, but I just figured it's because she's antsy about her new role."

"I think Darkstone is suspicious. He's always been a quiet cat, but he's just so unsettling right now." Comfreyheart admitted. There was some defiance in his eyes. Spiderpaw wondered if he thought she was accusing his mother.

"I don't know," the chocolate-and-red molly meowed, shaking her head. "I don't have confidence in anything. I don't want to be so quick to insist that one of my own Clanmates—one of the cats who I share tongues and eat prey with—could do something so wicked. And you're sure it was someone in this Clan?"

"No doubt about it," Spiderpaw said sadly. She had a feeling that it was an idea that was hard to swallow for the good-natured Larkpaw. "Listen, if you don't want to get involved..."

"No. I do. I want to know." Larkpaw insisted, giving Spiderpaw a look that was so emotionally backed it almost withered her heart.

"Alright then," Spiderpaw meowed, dipping her head.