III

"Um, let's see...raspberry leaves...they give strength, right?"

"No, Spiderpaw. Raspberry leaves are for pain." Maplewhisker sighed, exhaustion clear on the tom's face. They had been doing this song and dance for the past four hours, and it didn't seem like Spiderpaw was making much progress.

She knew two herbs by name and function precisely: poppy and catmint. But almost any cat knew about the name and function of poppy and catmint.

"You've got this," Palebriar assured. But Spiderpaw wasn't exactly sure who she was reassuring: her or Maplewhisker.

She was coming up on the end of her first quarter-moon as a prophets' apprentice. The past few days had been spent getting her used to how to herb-gather. She was good at that part. If her little tests were based on scent, then she would just have to close her eyes and breathe in the raspberry; it had a distinctly tangy and sour-like smell.

She knew that by the end of next quarter-moon, she would be taken to the Tree, and made to converse with the Kits of Stars in the ceremony that made her an official prophet. Something had to be done before then; if she allowed that ceremony to happen, then her position would be confirmed, with no chance to change it.

Spiderpaw remembered Darkstone's words. She just had to ask Antstar to make a change, that was all. She hadn't been able to in the past few days due to the sudden workload from being an apprentice. Her days had recently been spent out on the Moss-grounds, learning how to visually memorize each and every herb. And when she got back, Larkkit demanded stories.

Spiderpaw had to admit though, she was becoming fond of the kit. Her curiosity seemed never-ending, and unlike Marigoldkit, it didn't seem to come from a place of fear of hurting her. Spiderpaw had also learned things about the kit too: her favorite prey was magpie. She wanted to learn how to fish. She hoped to have Darkstone or Rainwhisker as her mentor.

"Spiderpaw? Are you listening?" Impatience entered Maplewhisker's tone, though it was barely audible.

"Hm?" Spiderpaw responded, not trying to hide that her thoughts had wandered off at all.

"I said that we can try again and then you can have a break, or you can have a break and we'll try again later." Maplewhisker repeated, going through the words slowly and carefully so that they were understood. Spiderpaw felt her ears heat up with embarrassment.

"I guess I'll take my break now," Spiderpaw meowed with a fair bit of awkwardness. She tried to ignore Maplewhisker's saddened gaze as she slid out of the den and made her way across the clearing.

As she did so, she suddenly heard raised voices. "I already told you, we can't just move the camp again!"

"But wouldn't that make more sense?! The Training Quarry is so much harder for predators and intruders to get in without us noticing! We barely even have a barrier!" That was definitely Stoatnose's voice.

A third voice interjected. "Neither of you have the authority to make a decision like this," it was a smooth and silky voice that just escaped Spiderpaw. She turned towards where the three cats were entering camp.

First, Stoatnose slid into camp. Her black-and-red tail was lashing, and her ears were pinned back. "And you have more authority than us?" She challenged to the cat behind her.

It was a blue and cream tortoiseshell who Spiderpaw recognized to be Robinclaw, one of Antstar's betrothed. Spiderpaw knew that Robinclaw wasn't always the kindest cat, but she was someone who commanded a lot of respect. Her and Goosethroat shared a striking resemblance; they both had a more muscular and larger frame than the cats around them.