IX

Spiderpaw was surprised when, after checking up on Palebriar and making sure that the infection hadn't worsened, she was approached by Rainwhisker while cleaning herself

"Antstar would like to speak with you," the she-cat explained.

Spiderpaw's ear flicked with confusion. He had approached her yesterday himself, why was he suddenly using Rainwhisker to communicate? Despite her questions, she didn't protest, getting to her paws and following the cat to the den.

Nonetheless, Spiderpaw entered Antstar's nest with a greeting meow, which he quickly responded to. The tom gave her a strange look, though. "Spiderpaw," he began, clearly feeling awkward. "Palebriar approached me late last night and told me more about her perspective of what happened. She told me that you fought bravely and with the strength of a lion." His gaze softened.

Spiderpaw nodded, sitting down. In truth, I really didn't fight that bravely...she considered to herself. I just kind of pathetically threw myself at the kittypet until he gave up.

"So, I remembered your earlier wishes. Of wanting to be a warrior apprentice, I mean. I thought that maybe, you would want that wish granted." Antstar explained, his whiskers twitching. "Clearly, in your display against that kittypet, you showed not only that you had the capability to fight, but you were also brave. You didn't hesitate to defend Palebriar."

Before Spiderpaw could interject to say that she certainly hesitated, he interrupted her. "You walked her all the way home on the path you are barely familiar with. You even stopped to dress her wounds. You saved her from drowning. These are all qualities of a loyal and solid warrior," admiration shone in his eyes.

Finally, Spiderpaw found the chance to speak. Before the tom could continue, she interjected. "I'm flattered, really, but I don't want to be a warrior anymore."

Antstar's ears perked up with shock. His jaw dropped, just slightly. "Really? You don't? Why is that?" The leader's head tilted to the side.

"There's a lot to say," Spiderpaw purred. "Maybe we could walk together and discuss it?"

Antstar looked around. "Well, I don't see why not."

As the two cats left the den, Antstar paused where Rainwhisker was standing, clearly anticipating something. The two talked in low and serious voices, before Rainwhisker padded off, a certain droop to the molly's tail. Spiderpaw wondered what that was about.

Antstar gave a friendly raise of his tail to Stoatnose, who was on camp watch. "We're off on a walk," he explained at her scrupulous glare. The molly shrugged and turned away, not caring about their particular business, it seemed.

On their way out, Spiderpaw had noticed Cherryear and Comfreyheart, who were sharing tongues. Cherryear was giggling just a bit too loudly at the other tom's jokes, and Spiderpaw sensed that it had something to do with Stoatnose's sour mood. It probably didn't help that when they were just past the fallen tree, Antstar turned to Spiderpaw and remarked, "I didn't know those two felt that way about each other."