The Painting

tw// this chapter contains brief description about war, gunshots, bombings.

Jooyeon woke up in the afternoon, grateful for a day off from his hospital shift. As he made his way downstairs, he was startled to see a large, new painting hanging in the living room. The sight of the painting sent chills down his spine, even though he couldn't deny that the man depicted in the artwork was undeniably handsome. Jooyeon's unease lingered as he studied the painting, wondering about its origins and the story behind it. Despite the discomfort it brought him, he couldn't tear his eyes away from the mysterious piece of art.

As the day slowly faded into night, Jooyeon found himself drifting off into a dream. Jooyeon was startled awake by the sound of gunfire and explosions in his dream, wondering what chaos was unfolding. He witnessed countless injuries and muffled cries before witnessing a stranger being shot in the neck. In a separate dream, Seungmin experienced a similar nightmare of being shot and killed in battle, followed by being stripped of his belongings by American soldiers. Both Jooyeon and Seungmin awoke in a panic, covered in sweat and struggling to catch their breath.

The following morning, Seungmin spotted his grandmother leisurely enjoying her morning coffee on the balcony. Taking a seat next to her, he couldn't resist sharing the details of a vivid dream he had experienced the night before. "Granny, I've dreamed of something last night."

"What is it, dear?" His grandmother asked him quietly, caressing Seungmin's hair.

"I've dreamed of World War II, then saw gunshots all over and bombings as well, and then I saw a man who looks like me who was shot in the neck," Seungmin said. The intense and chaotic nature of the dream left a lasting impression on Seungmin, causing him to reflect on the horrors of war and the fragility of life.

"That's a bit odd that you're dreaming about those kinds of things. But you know what? You do look like your great grandfather, and he was actually a general at the time. He died because he got shot at the neck." As his grandmother recounted the general's traits, Seungmin couldn't help but feel a sense of unease, realizing that his past may be influencing his present life in unexpected ways.

Seungmin found it difficult to explain his situation to his grandmother, who remained unaware of the details.

"We actually named you after your great-grandfather, and you look as brave as him." The grandma continued rambling.

"Can you tell me more about him then, grandma?" Seungmin excitedly said.

"In addition to his exceptional skills as a military leader, he also excels in his roles as a devoted husband and loving father to me. He chose to marry his childhood companion, your great-grandfather Kwak Jiseok, a decision that brings me great joy as I share our family history with you, my dear grandson."

"But does great grandpa have a past lover other than great grandpa Jiseok?" Seungmin continued asking.

She mentioned that he has a former lover named Lee Jooyeon, who is a member of the Cruz Roja (Red Cross) and played a crucial role in treating wounded soldiers.

"Last question, grandma. Why didn't they end up together? " Seungmin asked and sighed, knowing the real reason for their separation.