5

CELESTIA

CELESTIA

Sweat streamed down my face and body as I breathed heavily, relentlessly searching for Raphael.

We were in an abandoned warehouse, engaged in a training session. Since it was day one, he was coaching me on the basics, eager to see if I still had my knack for fighting.

He was hiding, attempting to sneak up on me as part of a training exercise known as A.R.E., which stands for Awareness, Reflexes, and Efficiency. The goal was to test my reaction speed, my ability to sense someone behind me, and how I would respond.

I swung the two metal rods, carefully circling around the pillars, striving to remain as attentive as possible.

Suddenly, two arms encircled me from behind, and before I knew it, I was colliding with the hard cement floor, which caused the rods to slip from my grasp.

"Son of a bitch." With a groan, I rose and began to massage my aching back.

"And just like that, you died." Raphael replied with a shrug. 

"You don't have to be so rough, dang it." I scoffed while picking up the rods.

That slam was incredibly painful; I'm fairly certain my spine is fractured.

"Do you think they're going to go easy on you in a fight just because you're a woman?" Think again, pretty face. Let's start from the beginning." He responded, brushing his fingers across my face, which I brushed off and rolled my eyes at.

.....

Hiding behind the wall, I looked in all directions to ensure the coast was clear before emerging from my hiding spot. Taking two cautious steps forward, I sensed that Raphael was likely sneaking up behind me.

Turning around swiftly, I swung the rod toward the direction where I sensed his presence, only to find no one there.

Suddenly, an arm encircled around my neck, prompting me to swing the rod backward and attempt to twist Raphael's arm. 

But God damn it he was strong.

"Tap out," I gasped, tapping his arm.

"An improvement from before, with swift moves, yet you still died. It's crucial to work smart; if you can't spot the person where you sensed them, don't linger in that spot searching. Chances are, they'll appear behind you."

"From the top." Letting out a groan and stomping my feet, I made my way back to the same position for what felt like the hundredth time.

....

Take five, or whichever number we're at.

Releasing a deep breath, I chanted the words 'awareness, reflex, efficiency' in my mind.

Stepping out from behind the wall, I stretched my back and loosened my arms before stepping into the open and making a slow 360-degree turn.

Hearing Raphael's faint steps from behind the wall, I stood attentively.