chapter six

chapter six - "ordinary people"

...

Grace sat alone upon the bleachers, music blasting through her earphones as she watched her aunt at cheerleading practice. Her hair fell out of its hastily tied messy bun as a gently breeze swept across her face.

The figure of Elena Gilbert caught her eye. The doppelgänger walked up to Rebekah, who was performing a series of gymnastic drills. Grace removed one of her earbuds from her ear, and curiously listened in on the conversation.

"You! Goody," Rebekah exclaimed, sarcastically.

"I was hoping we could talk," Elena told the Original.

"About what? Stefan? Don't worry, I'm off him until he starts treating me better," the blonde dismissed, "In fact, you should probably take a page out of my book, if I'm being honest."

"Actually, I'd rather talk about this," Elena said, before she held up a piece of paper, on which it had ancient runes, as far as Grace could make out.

She didn't recognise them, but it was clear her aunt did, as her relaxed posture stiffened and her expression froze. Grace hauled her bag over her shoulder, and quickly made her way to Rebekah, who clearly wanted to escape the uncomfortable conversation.

"I'm curious why you and Klaus have spent a thousand years running from your father," continued Elena.

"I should get back to the girls," the blonde changed the subject as she turned to leave, "Homecoming's right around the corner."

"Well then, maybe I'll ask Mikael when we wake him."

"You wouldn't dare," Grace hissed, "You have not idea what you're talking about."

"You're bluffing! You don't know where he is.

No one does!" Rebekah replied, although it sounded as though she was convincing herself.

"So, then who's rotting in that old cemetery in Charlotte?" Elena asked, to the two shaken girls.

"If you wake Mikael, we are all doomed." hissed Rebekah.

"So then, tell me," bargained Elena.

"Why do you want to know?" Rebekah questioned.

"Why don't you want me to wake him?" shot Elena.

Rebekah simply scoffed, before turning around once again, "I need to get back to the girls."

The two brunettes watched her walk away in silence before Grace whispered lowly, "You're playing with fire now, Elena. And you're going to get burned."

...

Music blared loudly through the Salvatore house. Rebekah had compelled a group of girls for their own personal runway, each was in a gorgeous dress for homecoming.