Chapter 4: Don't Call Me Stark

Just letting you know before hand, this is a rough chapter. I had a hard time writing it, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. 😘

—————————————————————

"Excuse me," Tony put his hand around my arm to stop me.

I looked from his grasp on my arm to his face, "You're excused," I broke his grip and made my way to the table.

"No, no, no. You're gonna answer some questions," he makes his way over to me.

I look him up and down. And waited a bit. "Are you going to ask?" I gave him a dirty look and began making my suit.

"Uhh. Okay first one, what the hell are you talking about?" He sounded annoyed.

"Do you remember Cassidy?" I asked.

"Shit," he immediately remembered.

"Yeah. Well, do you also remember the car seat, with a child, and a note? Well, I do. Cuz I have that blanket a poor innocent baby slept in, while you read the fucking note and put it back in the car seat and took me away! I have that fucking note!" I reached in my pocket it and took it out, waving it in his face, "and I read it every fucking day. To remember I was a damn mistake, something that ruined people's lives! And that I'll never be wanted!" I quieted my voice and spoke directly to him, "that I am worthless," I shoved the note to him. He hesitatingly took it. "So tell me, do you remember?" I look at him. I had no idea what he was thinking. I was too scared to look into his head. I thought about how embarrassing this was and how confusing it must be for everybody.

He looked at me, speechless. I looked around to everyone who just stood and watched everything that just went down.

"Get out. I need to finish this," I demanded, which was directed mostly to Tony. He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. "Get out," I said once more.

He put his hand on the back of his head, thinking, and went to leave. Steve tried stopping him.

"Tony..."

"Move," he simply said back.

"Dj?" Steve tried to call me.

I stayed looking down. "Please leave," my voice was shaky. They nodded and made their way out. I finally broke down. I sat in my chair and covered my eyes, letting out a few sobs. I tried to stop myself as fast as possible and sat up straight. I wiped my tears and steadied my breathing. I looked up to notice Nat standing in the corner.

"You know everyone left?" I sniffed and looked down on my work.

"I'm sorry you had to go through this," she said and took a seat on the other end of the table.

"It's not that bad. You just have to get used to the fact both parents didn't want you," I fake smiled at her.

"I know there will be no way to convince you, but Tony's not a bad guy. He's just made bad decisions. I don't know what he's thinking, but if I had to bet, it's that he regrets not wanting you. You're a very smart, strong, and beautiful girl. He had some choices and he made a lot of wrong ones. He's been very stupid, but I know he feels some form of regret. You don't have to forgive him, but just know when he made those decisions, he was young and stupid," she finished and made her way out, leaving me in my thoughts.

I spent the next few hours of the night making my suit. Thinking was out of the question. I didn't want to come to a conclusion. My mindset is whatever happens, happens. As I was working I heard the door open.

"Hey, I thought you could use some company," I turned to see Clint pull up a chair next to me. "How you doing?" He asked with a bit of sincerity in his voice.