Chapter 5: I Wouldn't Mind It

I got changed into my suit. I had built it to sustain my full energy, you know, just in case. I looked at myself in the mirror. This was mine. Not some oversized item of clothing that was given to me because the previous owner died. It was all mine.

It had been a dark, kind of night blue. There were two stripes that followed up the suit. It would signal if I was using my powers and turn a lighter shade of blue, the shade my actual powers were. I initially thought that I didn't care about my identity, but after much consideration, I realized I was 13. Also, Steve requested I keep it a secret. In order to do this, I would create a ball of energy that would circle around my face leaving only a shadow of my face shape under it, but still unrecognizable.

I stared at myself in the mirror for quite a bit. Hopefully I don't look stupid next to the other Avengers. Oh my gosh. I'm doing this. I'm going to use my powers to help people.

Nat walked in, interrupting my thoughts. She pushed the door open, wearing her usual Black Widow suit.

"Hey. Are you rea... Wow. That looks good. You made that?" She looked a little surprised. I nodded my head and continued looking at myself. "You look great. You'll fit just right in with the rest of us," she winked at me and took a seat on a chair that stood next to me.

"Thanks," I simply said, still feeling a bit insecure about it all. Especially what's been happening with Tony. I was just scared.

"Has Tony talked to you?" She asked out of curiosity. I shook my head. "I'm sure he didn't mean anything. I know he regrets it all."

"You think so?" I asked.

"Of course. You would have and could be an amazing daughter. Also, an amazing person in our family," she helped put a braid in my hair.

"Do you want to? You know, be an actual daughter? And have an actual family?" She finished my hair.

"Yes. I've always wanted to, but I'm scared. What if he doesn't mean it? What if he just leaves me, like before? I can't do that again," I used my powers to cover my face. Nat grabbed my hands and looked at where my face was supposed to be. My powers that covered my face kept going in and out. Everything I was feeling was making my powers go out of control. It went away.

For once, I felt safe. Like I didn't need to cover my face in front of her. I felt like I was on the verge of getting the life I wanted. I might even have an actual father and not one that just left me to die at Hydra. Maybe I wasn't as alone as I thought. I had only known Nat for a day and she has been so sweet and caring. And Steve, he's been so considerate and thoughtful. Even Clint and Thor were nice to me. And Tony, well, he's a work in progress. Maybe they don't care about me and maybe I'm just delusional, but it didn't matter to me. This is a glimpse of what a family could be. A family I could have. I don't know if they're just trying to be nice or something, but I really felt at home here. I felt cared about. There might be a few things me and Tony need to figure out, but I was willing to do that.

"Hey. I don't know if you want this, but if you do, we could be there for you. We could be your family. You don't have to be alone anymore, Dj. I know how you feel and I want to help," she squeezed my hands.

I couldn't really say anything. I just nodded my head and somehow I managed to let out, "I would like that."

"We'll be waiting downstairs, whenever you're ready," she smiled at me and left the room.

I let all my emotions dial down a bit. As my emotions left, my face cover crept back over my head, concealing my identity once more. I had never dealt with such emotion that my powers faltered. I could not do that in a fight. I sighed and decided I was ready for the big confrontation with Ultron.