It's my fault

After our first ultrasound JJ and I took a few days off to actually discuss everything and just talk. When the initial shock came off and we talked through the misunderstandings everything fell back into place.

We decided on getting a bigger apartment or maybe even a house and leave my apartment for Emily since she already lives there. But there was still time, for now we liked being all together. After those few days we were back at work.

„Emily, you wanna get your ass kicked?" Derek asked.

„What?" She asked him furrowing her eyebrows.

„Play uno, I mean," he specified, „Guess I should've made this more clear."

„Well, your chances at kicking her ass are better with uno than actual ass kicking," I interjected.

„You just wanna hurt my ego and I'm not falling for that," he said, „So what do you say Prentiss?"

„I don't wanna play," Emily stated looking at her chart, but to me it seemed like she was looking through it, not at it.

„And what's up with you?" I asked.

„Nothing," she said with a small smile.

„Come on, I'm your sister," I told her, „I know which smiles you're faking."

„Elizabeth is coming," she said quietly.

„What?" I asked shocked, „Why?"

„I don't know," she said turning to me, „To ruin my day maybe."

„Okay, uh," I said nodding, „We'll figure it out, don't worry about it."

„I know," she nodded.

It was easier said than done. I don't want her to worry, but I was nervous myself. Every time I see our mother, I'm suddenly twelve begging her to come see my soccer game or watch me play my guitar just for her to yell or criticize me again.

It's fine though. Whatever she'd have to say it wouldn't be anything I haven't heard before and nothing I can't handle. Emily will be fine too.

I was too caught up in thinking that I didn't notice JJ coming to my desk and now I had no idea what she was talking about. Exactly like my mother would do to me as a kid. That's why I was scared to have my own, I'm scared I'm gonna turn out like her.

„So I think this will have to work, what do you think?" She asked me.

„Well," I said having no idea what she just asked me, „I think that works, yeah."

„Okay," she said, „So it'll be around eleven in the morning."

„Mhm," I said nodding, „Whatever works for you, baby."

She sighed, „Okay, come to me when you get out of your head," she said getting up from my desk.

„No, no," I said grabbing her hand, „I'm sorry. The appointment, I know. I'll be there."

„Okay, that was a mean thing to say. I'm sorry too. What is it?" She asked me.

„It's," I sighed, „My mother is coming."

„Oh," she said, „Oh god. Do you want me to like, not be there?"

"Why?" I asked, "I mean it's up to you. If you wanna be there, be there. If you don't wanna deal with it then don't."

"I'll be there," she said nodding, "Do you need me to act a certain way or not say some things or something?"

I took her hand, "I want you to be yourself and not apologize for it if she doesn't like it. She can never be pleased so don't take it personally, but she'll probably focus more on Emily and me."