Chapter 21

Savannah

I woke up with a heaviness in my chest, the events of the past few days replaying in my mind like a broken record. I can't believe how quickly everything has spiraled out of control. One minute, Wyatt and I were finally reconnecting. And the next, this bombshell regarding his marriage and a child. He supposedly has with another woman. It's thrown our lives into chaos.

I forced myself out of bed, my legs feeling like lead as I made my way to the living room. Wyatt is sprawled out on the couch, his beautiful face looks worried even in his sleep. I can't help but feel a pang of sadness wash over me. This man, who I've loved since we were children. Is clearly going through something immensely difficult. I wish I could simply wrap my arms around him and make it alright for both of us. But I can't.

With a heavy sigh, I head to the kitchen to make coffee and some toast.

With coffee and toast in hand, I make my way back to the living room and place them on the coffee table. I paused for a moment, watching the rise and fall of Wyatt's chest. Before reaching out and gently shaking his shoulder.

"Wyatt," I murmured, my voice soft but firm. "It's time to wake up."

Wyatt stirred, his eyes blinking open as he took in his surroundings. When his gaze lands on me, a flash of relief crosses his features, and my heart aches at the vulnerability I see there.

"Savannah," he breathes, sitting up slowly. "Hi..."

"Hi," I replied, taking a seat beside him. "This is for you" I pointed to the coffee and toast.

Wyatt's brow furrowed, and he reached for the cup of coffee, taking a long sip before speaking again. "Thank you, Sav."

I reached out and placed my hand on his arm, giving it a gentle squeeze.

He met my gaze, his eyes shining with tears. "Sav, I... I'm so sorry. I've made such a mess of things. I never meant to hurt you, but it seems like that's all I do."

"I know," I murmur, reaching up to gently brush a stray lock of hair from his forehead. "But dwelling on the past won't help us now. We need to figure out how to move forward."

Wyatt takes a deep breath, his fingers drumming nervously against the mug in his hands. "

Wyatt nods, his eyes meeting mine. "I never wanted to hurt you, Savannah. I love you, more than anything. I just... I couldn't bear the thought of dragging you into this mess."

"You should have told me, Wyatt..."

"I know. I'm sorry, Sav. I'm so sorry."

We sit there for a moment, the weight of Wyatt's confession hanging heavy in the air. Finally, I pull back, my hands cupping his face as I look into his eyes.

"What do you want from me, Wyatt?" With a deep breath, I pull my hand away, needing to create some distance. "I...I don't know if I can do this anymore." The words felt like a knife in my own heart, but I know I have to be honest.

Wyatt fixed himself up on the couch, a look of panic flashing across his face. "What do you mean?"

I avert looking at him, unable to meet his pleading eyes. "I'm just...I'm so heartbroken, Wyatt. All of this, the secrets, the lies, the uncertainty. It's all too much. I feel numb, and I feel the only thing left for me to do is to focus on saving the ranch."

He reaches for me again, but I hold up a hand to stop him. "I need to find a way to keep the ranch in my family, and that means I need to find a husband. I can't let my family's legacy slip away, not after everything my family. And especially what my father went through."