Chapter 22

Wyatt

It had been two weeks since I last saw Savannah. But the memory of our final conversation at the cabin still weighed heavily on my mind.

I was still at my parents' ranch trying really hard to mend the strained relationship with my Mom and Dad. But their presence only served as a constant reminder of the complicated mess I had created.

As I sat on the porch, staring out at the familiar landscape, I couldn't help but feel restless. Savannah's words echoed in my head. The finality in her voice cut me deeper than any bull I've ever faced in the arena. She had made it clear that we needed to go our separate ways. That she had to focus on saving the ranch, and that meant finding a "husband."

The thought of Savannah with another man made my chest tighten with jealousy. But I know I have no right to feel that way, not after the way I've hurt her. I betrayed her trust, and I can't blame her for needing time and space from me.

The sound of gravel crunching under tires drew my attention. I turn to see my father's truck pulling into the driveway. As my Dad approaches, I can see the conflicted emotions on his face. It's a mix of concern and wariness that I've become all too familiar with.

He settles into the chair next to mine, the worn wood creaking under his weight. "What's going on with you and that girl you used to run around with back in the day? Savannah?"

I tensed, my fingers tightening around the glass. "Yeah. We... we had a falling out."

My father let out a heavy sigh, shaking his head. "I figured as much. You always did have a way of complicating things, Wyatt." He pauses, his brow furrowing with concern. "Look, I know things haven't been easy between us, but if you need to talk, then let's talk."

I considered his offer, a part of me tempted to open up, to finally unload the weight I'd been carrying. But the words catch in my throat, the fear of judgment and disappointment holding me back. That's the way it's always been in my family. So instead, I simply nod, murmuring a quiet "thanks" before lapsing into silence.

Finally, he spoke up again, his voice soft and contemplative. "You know, Wyatt, when your Mother and I were first starting out, we had our fair share of ups and downs. There were times when we thought we might not make it, but we fought for each other, tooth and nail."

I glance at him, a flicker of curiosity in my eyes. "What are you saying, Dad?"

He meets my gaze, a hint of a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "I'm saying that if Savannah is worth fighting for, then you'd better not give up without a hell of a good reason. Life's too damn short to let the ones you love slip away."

His words hit me like a punch to the gut, the truth in them resonating deep within me. For so long, I've been focused on my own mistakes, on the mess I've created. That I've forgotten the most important thing—that I love Savannah with every fiber of my being.

"I'll try my best, Dad..."

He gave a small smile. "Good... now what do ya say we head to the feed store? Get some chores done..."

***

We got out of the truck, and I followed behind my dad as we entered the familiar feed store. The dusty scent of hay and grain mingled with the rich aroma of leather. My leg still ached, but I did my best to ignore it, focusing instead on the task at hand. The Jameson Ranch had taken a hit with the latest storm, and we needed to stock up on supplies to repair the damage.

Dad nudged me gently, snapping me out of my thoughts. "You think you can handle carrying those bags with that leg of yours?"

I gave him a wry smile. "I'll manage, old man. Just point me in the right direction."