Chapter 4

"Look here," Elena called out, pointing to a section of the tree's roots. "There's something carved into the bark." We gathered around and saw a series of intricate symbols etched into the wood. Vlad examined them closely, his eyes narrowing in concentration. "These are old Wallachian runes," he explained. "They speak of protection and hidden treasures." With renewed determination, we began to dig around the base of the tree, carefully removing dirt and rocks. Suddenly, my leg gave away and I thought I would land face straight on the rocky surface. My eyes were tightly squeezed awaiting for the hard impact but fortunately Vlad had caught me by my waist when I opened my eyes he was looking softly at me as if I am the most precious thing in his whole life. I held on to him returning to stand not forgetting to thank him. The work was arduous, but eventually, our efforts were rewarded. We unearthed a small, weathered chest, much like the one we had found in the hidden chamber of the castle. My heart pounded in my chest as we pried open the chest. Inside, we found a collection of ancient artifacts: a jeweled dagger, a set of coins from Vlad's era, and a leather-bound journal. But the most striking item was a small, intricately carved box. Its lid bore the same runes as the tree.

"This must be it," Vlad whispered, his voice barely audible. "My true legacy- I mean the true legacy of my ancestor." I almost thought I misheard him but I swear there was something suspicious or alluring about him. With trembling hands, I opened the carved box. Inside was a simple ring, its design unmistakably linked to the Order of the Dragon, the chivalric order to which Vlad the Impaler had belonged. Alongside it was a scroll, sealed with wax and bearing Vlad's personal crest. I carefully broke the seal and unfurled the scroll, reading its contents aloud: 

"To those who find this, know that you have uncovered the heart of my legacy. The ring symbolizes the strength and honor of our family, and the scroll contains the true account of my life and deeds. Protect it, for it holds the truth that history has long forgotten.

Vlad III"

Elena's eyes sparkled with tears. "This is incredible," she said. "We have found the truth that so many have sought." Vlad placed a hand on my shoulder, a rare smile gracing his features. "You have honored my ancestor's memory by seeking the truth. Now, it is up to us to share it with the world." We spent the next several hours meticulously documenting our findings. As night fell, we made our way back to the castle, our hearts full of a sense of accomplishment and reverence for the history we had uncovered. Back in the castle, we gathered in the library to examine the journal and scroll in greater detail. Each page of Vlad's journal revealed insights into his thoughts and motivations, painting a picture of a man driven by duty, loyalty, and a fierce desire to protect his homeland. As I read the final entry in the journal, I felt a deep connection to the past, understanding that Vlad the Impaler was more than just a legend of Dracula. 

He was a complex, multifaceted individual whose legacy deserved to be remembered in its entirety. Vlad and Elena sat beside me, their presence a comforting reminder of the bond we had formed through our shared journey. Together, we vowed to preserve and share the true story of Vlad the Impaler, ensuring that his legacy would be remembered for generations to come. The atmosphere in the library grew tense as we pored over the journal and scroll, the weight of our discovery settling in. Vlad's presence, so reminiscent of his ancestor, seemed almost uncanny. As we studied the final entry in the journal, a strange feeling gnawed at the back of my mind. There was something about Vlad's demeanor, the way he spoke about his ancestor with such familiarity. It was as if he were recounting memories rather than reciting history.

"Vlad," I began hesitantly, "there's something I've been meaning to ask. How is it that you know so much about Vlad the Impaler? Your knowledge goes beyond that of a historian or a guide. Well I know you're the his descent but you're finding it with us just now when you could've done it a long time. The emotions and the info you share, It's almost as if you were there." Vlad's eyes darkened, a flicker of something ancient and profound passing over his features. He sighed deeply, as if a great burden weighed upon him. Elena, sensing the gravity of the moment, placed a reassuring hand on my arm. "I suppose the time has come to reveal the truth," Vlad said, his voice heavy with resignation. "You see, I am not just a descendant of Vlad the Impaler. I am Vlad the Impaler." The room fell silent, the revelation hanging in the air. Outside, the weather changed rapidly, a thunderclap emphasizing the tension. My mind raced, struggling to process the impossibility of his words.

"But... how?" I managed to stammer. "How can you be Vlad the Impaler? You lived centuries ago." Vlad leaned back, his gaze distant as he began to recount his story. "It is true that I lived during the 15th century, and it is also true that I was known as Vlad the Impaler. However, what history does not know is that I was cursed with immortality. A dark ritual, meant to protect my land from invaders, bound my soul to this earth, preventing me from ever truly dying. To a certain extent Bram Stoker was correct, I am a vampire." He paused, allowing the gravity of his words to sink in. "For centuries, I have wandered the earth, witnessing the rise and fall of empires, watching as my legacy was twisted into the legend of Dracula. I have lived in the shadows, guarding the secrets of my past and searching for a way to end my curse." I shook my head, trying to wrap my mind around the enormity of his revelation. "If you are truly Vlad the Impaler, then why reveal yourself now? Why help us uncover these secrets?"

Vlad's gaze met mine, filled with a mixture of hope and sorrow. "Because you are different. You seek the truth, not for fame not for glory, but for a genuine understanding and passion of who I was and what I stood for. I believe that by sharing my story with you, we can finally set the record straight and perhaps, find a way to lift this curse."