Chapter 38

The distance to travel from Shadyhouse to Carreg Cennen was not far

The distance to travel from Shadyhouse to Carreg Cennen was not far. The choice of the place where Shadyhouse was built had been made by Elly's grandfather so that it could be quickly reached from the castle.

Not too close, to allow privacy for those who lived there, and not too far, so as not to take more than half a morning on A horseback walking gait.

They headed for the road that led to the village called Trapp, from there, but without passing through the center of the village, they would turn toward the 'Beacons', in a north-westerly direction, to climb gently up the slope that would get them to the Castle.

The morning was beautiful. A warm sun peeked through small, light, almost transparent veils of clouds, forming beams of light and shadow that gave an ethereal appearance to the landscape.

Along the path of earth and stones, here and there, peeping through the tall grass were the heads of clusters of daffodils, primroses, and bluebells.

Although the house had been left under guard by some soldiers and Sir John's faithful aide, Elly did not feel quiet.

Before leaving, she had left clear directions on what was to be done and where it was absolutely forbidden to go such as: her herb garden and laboratory.

She did not like to leave the house in the hands of strangers, but John had been adamant on that point and she, having found no good elements to debate the matter, had decided to let it go.

<<You don't seem happy about going to Carreg Cennen>> John suddenly told her.

He was riding alongside her. In front and behind them were two armed men.

<<No, indeed, I am not>> was Elly's dry reply.

John raised an eyebrow, surprised, and intrigued.

<<How so if I may ask?>>.

Elly, who at that moment, was in a foul mood, looked at him as if he were an annoying insect.

<<I don't like feeling 'forced' to go somewhere, even if it is a familiar place>>.

He turned to look at her.

<<How long has it been since you visited Carreg Cennen>>.

<<Not long. It's just that this whole thing worries and irritates me a lot>>.

John stood in silence, waiting for her to continue explaining herself.

<<Maybe it's just the guilt that plagues me>>.

He went back to looking in front of him.

<<Why do you feel guilty? That's not like you>>.

Elly glowered at him.

<<Kay made me feel like I was someone who enjoyed manipulating the lives, the destinies of others. And I didn't like that>>.