Chapter Fifty-Three: Avalyn

The Carters swiftly retreat, their eyes widening with a mix of concern and unmistakable dread as they gasp the truth— I'm not the person I claim to be. In that moment, they understand and recognize the importance of the figure standing before them, perhaps not fully comprehending his identity, but sensing the aura of authority and influence he exudes. Their fear isn't for me; it's for themselves and what consequences may follow, now that they've crossed paths with someone of such prominence.

 Before I can even register what's happening, his firm grip seizes my wrist, propelling me closer to him. His arm envelops my back, drawing me into his chest, while his other hand clasps mine, our fingers intertwining. "Next Saturday, same spot, same time," his voice murmurs huskily into my ear, coaxing me into the rhythm of our impromptu dance.

 The music seems to fade as my thoughts scatter, leaving my brain struggling to play catch up. I find myself speechless, unable to articulate the questions racing through my mind. I simply yield to the sway of his lead, moving with a mechanical stiffness, my movements constricted by my own tension.

  As he discerns my silence, a disapproving click of his tongue escapes him before he clarifies. "The upcoming auction... You mentioned to Lucius about gathering intel on it, didn't you?"

 Pain pulses through my head as I try to process his words, my body caught between the instincts of fight or flight, settling for freezing in place. He's aware of Wrath; he knows him intimately enough to address him by his first name. I strain to pinpoint Wrath's presence, but amid the clamor of the bustling crowd and the pulsating music, he remains elusive, his location hidden from my senses.

 Guilt courses through me relentlessly. I berate myself for not urging him to leave, for not fleeing alongside him the moment I recognized the headman. My own desperation to find Jeannette has blinded me to the danger lurking in the shadows, causing me to endanger the man I love.

 Our tumultuous past no longer dominates my thoughts. Even with all the pain he inflicted, I never harbored a desire for his loss of freedom. Yes, there were moments when I wished for him to taste anguish and despair, but deep down, I understood that his actions stemmed not from malice towards me, but from a profound yearning for liberation. He held contempt toward the fact that I was related to the people who tortured him, but it was not the reason he did what he did. He was burdened by a desperate need to reclaim his humanity, to break free from the shackles of his past. In his eyes, that freedom was inexorably linked to my blood.

 The pain of their betrayal will always linger, a constant ache in the recesses of my mind. Yet, amidst the hurt, I've come to realize that I still yearn for their presence in my life. The thought of them not being there, of their absence from this world, cuts me to the core. I crave the sound of their breath, the rhythm of their inhales and exhales, and the cadence of their words. It's become an integral part of my existence, something I can't fathom living without any longer.

 It pains me that it took the possibility of never seeing him again to grasp the depth of my feelings truly. What's even more agonizing is the realization that I may never have the chance to apologize for my hurtful words, for telling him to die in a moment of anger. Though my feelings were justified, I now understand the fragility of life and the unpredictability of its twists and turns. It shifts my perspective profoundly. I don't want one of our last interactions to be tainted by resentment and anger. Because despite everything, I want him in my life— I want him more than words can express.

 The only solace I can find in this moment is the knowledge that Cierien is safe away from the imminent danger. Despite his impulsive nature, I have to trust that Idalia, with her level-headedness, will prevent him from rushing headlong into peril. It's a fragile reassurance, but it's all I have to cling to.