Chapter eleven - reveling deception

"Can we start over?" Was all I thought about the past days, Jade never left my mind, it seemed impossible to get rid of these seemingly endless thoughts. I really like her, I do. I realized that two days ago when I watched a romance movie and all I could think about was her and me going on these dates, holding hands, sharing ice cream and being with each other. It all seems like never coming true, I don't know what to think now. I mean we never had any conversation about what we are or want to be or what is allowed, so she basically didn't do anything wrong. Yet there was so much wrong about it; she destroyed our base of trust and safety. I can confidently say that she started becoming my safe place, the one I came to whenever something was too much to handle or just when I wanted to talk. She just was the first one to care, to actually listen and comfort me; she took the time to be there for me. No one ever does that, but she did, and I didn't even ask for it. It was her own free will, with no pressure. It melted my heart when she did; she was the one to make me feel better when no one else did. Doesn't this all outweigh the fact that she made out with someone from her past... We still didn't talk but she mentioned it in the call, and she seemed honest. She wasn't the one to lie, she's a strong woman she doesn't need to lie. There's just something about her, I can't put my finger on but I want to explore it; all of her. But the tragic events are still tattooed in my mind, something that must be worked through before I can continue any of this.

"Victoria hello?" My mother says waving her hand in front of my face. "Hmm?" I say exiting my house of thoughts, she seems to be having called my name for a bit now. I can tell from her expression; she always pokes her tongue against her cheek when she's getting impatient or waiting for an answer. "I was thinking that the three of us could have a nice brunch together?" She proposes to me studying my face from the table across the plain hospital room. I'm not in the perfect mood for that, so I just shrug wanting to stay in the comfort of the soft blankets. But knowing my mother she insists on it, my father doesn't look up from his newspaper once. I internally roll my eyes, when does he ever want to do something with us, that we want.

After all I give in, if I'm being honest I missed this, the three of us spending time together. Even if that's just a conversation over brunch, it's as simple as that to make me feel included and content. My mother calls my assigned nurse to help me off the IV for a few hours, so that I'm able to step out without any needles being stuck in my arm. Once that's over my mother hooks her arm under mine leading me out, my father tags along close behind while being occupied with his phone. I was the one given the choice to choose a café to have brunch at, of course I choose ExpressoHouse they always have the most delicious bagels.

We decide to take a stroll there instead of taking the car since I've missed the cold wind and my walks. To my surprise both were happy when I asked, my father even shot a smile at me. Soon we reach the café, the welcoming waitress leads us to a table. She jots down our orders directly after we sat down. Since we came here quite often in the past year, we all know the whole menu backwards. I changed up my order though, I used to always order one bagel with scrambled eggs and avocado and another one with marmalade and cheese. But now I favour one with boiled eggs and salad along with an iced caramel latte. My all-time favourite, nothing goes above my love for that coffee.

The conversation flows easily over topics such as politics, school, and work. My father and me being really engaged in the conversation, stating our opinions on the Russia-Ukraine, as well as the Israel-Palestine war. He is a very educated man; we don't share a lot of opinions though. We're just different based on our way of thinking and feeling. The talk about school leaves as quickly as it came, I don't have a lot to comment about it, it eventuates well even though I have a lot of catching up to do. Then we chat about his work, he explains a few of the new events and projects coming up, he also mentions that he'll change his work-location. My mother inquires some further details about that coming change, it appears as she didn't already know about that, neither did I but I thought he at least would discuss such matter with her. However that seems to be not the case, maybe he simply forgot.