Chapter 8 Trust in me

TRIGGER WARNING: PEDOPHILIA, TRAUMA, TALK/TREAT OF MURDER

(Zenitsu's POV) 
Once I got her to go deep into slumber, I went home. At least I went home to a clean apartment for once in my life. I walk in the door at 11 p.m. to see a note on my dresser. It was from Ami. 

Dear Zenitsu, 

      I would just like to say that I've very sorry for bothering you before in the hallway. I didn't mean to be a nuisance and, if you're willing, I would like to invite you over to my apartment for tea whenever you have time. My house is your house sweetie. I hope you have it in your sweet heart to forgive me for the inconvenience. 

From, Ami

P.S. I put away your clothes for you so you don't have to worry about doing that when you get home. <3

I rub my face. I really am an asshole, aren't I? I sigh and look over at the clock. I guess I could go over and see if she's still awake. I walk out of my apartment and down the hall. 

I see the number on the apartment. 23A...........I sigh one more time and knock on the door and wait for a few seconds. The door opens and I see Ami's tiny daughter, Emi. I smile and kneel down to her level. "Oh, hey Emi. What are you doing up so late?" 

She shrugged, "Mama's having trouble sleeping so it's hard for me to go to sleep too." 
"Oh, well, you probably shouldn't be opening the door yourself." 
"But you're like my brother!"
I smile and pat Emi's head. "I know but you didn't know it was me until you opened the door." 

she pouted. I chuckle, "Just  let your mama do it next time, okay?" 
"Okay........" 
I pat her head one more time before walking into the house. 

I remember I moved in when Emi was only 2 years old. That poor woman........ Ami had Emi when she was only 16 years old. She was kicked out for it. Life has always kicked her ass and I feel so bad for her. Now Emi is 5 and Ami's 21. I met her when I was 14. She was only 18. 

I walk into the house and see Emi run into her mother's room, "MOMMY! ZENITSU'S HERE!" 
I try to stop her, "Sweetie, don't wake your poor mother."
"BUT SHE IS AWAKE!" 

Ami quickly runs out of her bedroom and looks at me, her bellybutton poking out from her tank top due to her round stomach. I could tell she was aching. 

"Ami......" 
"Zenitsu....." 
She smiles and hugs me, "Glad you came over. I'm so sorry that I bothered you before." 
"No............you didn't do anything wrong................. It was completely my fault.... I was supposed to meet my friend but I forgot since I was drunk and panicked. I should have never yelled at you. I'm so sorry. You didn't deserve that." 

She looks up at me. I feel her stomach pressing up against me. "I'm so glad...... I've been wanting to talk to you." 
"ME TOO!" Says Emi. 

Ami looks over at Emi, not realizing she was still awake, "Not this time sweetie. It's way past your bedtime. You're gonna be exhausted." 
Emi pouts and Ami smiles and continues, "Let me put you to bed." 
"Can Zenitsu put me to bed?" 

Ami looks at me and I chuckle, "Yeah, I can do that."
Emi jumps up and down, squealing with joy as she grabs my hand and drags me off. I chuckle. Emi was the most adorable little kid you would ever see. I glanced at Ami's room, her door wide open and realized that Ami didn't have a bed frame. She only had a mattress on the floor. 

"Come on! Come on!" Emi ushered me away into her room. I smile and look around for a moment, my smile fading a little as I see it. She barely had any toys. She had a teddy bear that looked like it had been loved for a very long time. It was dirty and had several stitching spots. She also had a wooden train on the floor. Looks like her mother may have handmade it. Ami has always been very into arts and crafts. She had a 12 color box of crayons and a few sheets of paper out too.