six

The breakfast table was unusually empty. Wren was actually able to get first dibs on her blueberry pancakes and didn't have to fight Nancy or Mike for the last strip of bacon. It was peaceful without their arguing. It was quiet.

Suspiciously quiet.

She never would've thought that a quiet house would bother her. Her older siblings got on her nerves, and in the past, she would've been thrilled to have one meal with just Holly and their parents. However, due to the events of the past week – Will's disappearance and death, a strange girl living in their basement, and a whole bunch of secrets – she couldn't help but worry.

And she never worried about Mike or Nancy. They didn't have that kind of relationship.

"Where's Nancy?" Mr. Wheeler asked as he raised his coffee cup. "I thought she was coming down?"

Mrs. Wheeler sighed. "She is . . . Uh, she was. I don't know. Lauren, go upstairs and check on your sister."

Wren frowned as she swallowed her bite of pancake. "Why?"

"Because I told you to," Mrs. Wheeler quipped.

"She's just gonna slam the door in my face," Wren muttered as she got up from the table. Just because she was secretly curious about why her brother and sister weren't at breakfast didn't mean she wanted to act on it.

Wren made her way upstairs and knocked on Nancy's bedroom door. "Nancy? Are you okay?"

There was no reply, but music could be heard.

"Nancy, come on." Wren sighed. "I didn't come up here because I wanted to, okay? Mom made me. Just . . . come downstairs for breakfast, okay? Mom made blueberry pancakes."

Still no answer. Wren knocked again before turning the handle, which was locked. She hesitated a moment before going to the hall bathroom to grab a hair pin, which she then used to pick the lock.

"Nancy . . . ?" she asked as she slowly opened the door, only to find the room deserted. There was a sleeping bag on the floor, and her bedroom window was open. Wren scoffed. Not only did Nancy have a boy over, but she also snuck out. She didn't have to think too hard to know who she was with. She'd been spending a lot of time with Jonathan Byers lately. "You're so lucky I'm feeling nice today, otherwise I'd tell on you." She walked over to the window and closed it. "You owe me big time."

Wren went back downstairs. Her mother looked at her expectantly when she sat down at the table. "She's taking a bath. Menstrual cramps are bothering her. Would it be all right if I bring her some snacks after this delicious meal you've prepared, Mom?"

She hadn't gotten her period yet, but from what she's heard her mother and sister talking about, cramps and cravings heavily impacted that time of the month.

Mrs. Wheeler stared at her for a moment. Wren's face was unreadable. "Well . . . yes, I suppose that would be okay. When you do, tell her that I hope she feels better soon."

Wren nodded. She finished the rest of her breakfast and grabbed some snacks from the pantry, which she took up to her own room. She put them into her bag for later. She and Robin had plans to go see a movie, and if they wanted to have enough money for Operation Croissant, it would be cheaper to sneak snacks into the theatre instead of buying them there.

****

Wren and Robin looked up at the marquee sign outside the movie theatre with their jaws dropped. The younger girl's brows pulled together, and when she closed her mouth, her lips pressed into a thin line. She clenched a fist by her side, exhaling sharply through her nose.