Back To School

Adeline Rae Carson

“Strength doesn't come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't”

It's now 7am as the sunlight streams through my blinds and I've been working on my schoolwork for more than 4 hours now.

I'm just about to close my biology textbook when the door opens and Hank walks in.

"Hey, kiddo. What are you doing?", he asks looking at the open textbook in my hands and the millions of worksheets spread out around me.

"I woke up early so I decided to do more schoolwork so I can be all caught up when I go to school today", I reply yawning as I regret not taking a nap.

"And how early did you wake up?", Hank asks looking concerned.

I shrug, avoiding eye contact.

"Addie", Hank says sternly and I cave.

"2:30am", I say.

Hank sighs and a pained expression crosses his face but he doesn't say anything immediately.

"That's ok, we'll make sure you go to bed early today then", Hank says calmly and I feel so relieved that he didn't make a big deal out of it.

"Time to get ready for school. Have you caught up on all your schoolwork now?"

"Yeah", I reply.

"Good. Go get ready now and come down for breakfast", Hank says as he walks out of my room.

I nod as I go to the bathroom and do my business, brush my teeth and wash my face.

Walking over to my wardrobe, I flick through my dresses, sweaters, t-shirts, hoodies and jumpers as I pick out a lavender dress, black tights and a white cardigan to wear since it's still cold outside in Chicago.

I also pick out silver flower earrings and the matching silver flower necklace to go with it.

Opening the second draw in my desk, I grab my favourite light pink tinted lip oil that Erin brought me and apply it to my lips.

Finally happy with my appearance, I grab my backpack and check to make sure I have the books I need for today.

Happy I've checked everything at least twice, I finally make my way downstairs.

Hank is sitting at the table, looking at a file, with a piece of buttered toast in front of him.

"Hey, kiddo, you look nice", Hank says as he smiles at me and I blush.

It's still so weird to hear people say good things about me after years of being constantly berated for the smallest mistakes.

"Toast or cereal?", Hank asks switching back and forth between looking at me and the file in front of him.

"I'm not hungry", I reply, suddenly feeling nervous.

Now that it's time to actually go to school, I really don't want to.

I don't even understand my feelings.

When I was living with Greg, I went to school everyday unless it was so bad that I absolutely could not get out of bed.

Going to school was better than laying in bed, tormented by the constant, never-ending pain, both physical and mental.

Going to school and doing all the work and getting good grades gave me the purpose I needed in life but now that I don't have to worry about being beaten everyday, I don't want to go.