Cruel Nightmare

Adeline Rae Carson

“Everything will be fine in the end and if it isn't then it's not the end”

"Time for bed", Hank announces as the episode of the TV show we were watching comes to an end.

"It's only 9:30pm", I half heartedly protest eventhough I'm tired.

"It is but you've got school tomorrow and we need to get there early and you didn't sleep well last night", Hank replies.

"Why do we need to get there early?", I ask confused.

"I need to talk to your principal. It's just about changing your primary contact on your files and some paperwork I have to fill out", Hank replies and I nod.

"Alright, that's enough now. Go get ready for bed and I'll come up and say goodnight. Also leave your phone here", Hank commands and I sigh grumpily as I leave my phone on the table and walk upstairs to my room to get ready for bed, stomping up the stairs a little louder than necessary.

I brush my teeth and wash my face, applying my shea butter moisturiser after and change into an oversized hoodie and shorts for bed.

I don't know why but I prefer sleeping in my hoodie and leggings or shorts rather than actual pyjamas.

I just get into bed and lay down when there's a knock on the door and Hank walks in after I tell him to come in.

"Hey kiddo, you all ready for bed?", Hank asks as he walks over and sits on the side of the bed.

"No, I just decided to skip brushing my teeth", I reply sarcastically.

Hank raises his eyebrows as he gives me a stern look but doesn't say anything for a bit and just looks me in the eye.

"You worried bout goin' back to school?", he asks in a raspy voice, looking at me carefully.

I don't know how to explain why I'm worried about going back to school so I just nod.

"Just remember that this time tomorrow, you would've finished school and you would be in bed and won't be this worried. You'll feel relieved that you finally got it over with and eventually you'll fall into a routine", Hank assures.

I shrug, not knowing what to say.

I think I've forgotten what it feels like to be reassured by someone else instead of just being ignored.

"Good night, kiddo. I love you", Hank says as he kisses my forehead and I shoot up, clinging onto him like a monkey.

"I'm sorry I was moody today", I say as I cling onto him, burying my head in his chest.

"You've had a lot going on today, Addie. It's okay for you to express your emotions, negative and positive. However, when you do express those emotions if you break one of my rules then you'll be punished but I'm not mad, kiddo. I know you're nervous about going back to school since you haven't went in a while but everything's going to be fine", Hank says as I still hold on tight to him.

"What if it's not? What if everything's not fine?", I ask quietly as I voice my biggest fear.

Hank is silent for a minute as he considers what to say.

"My wife, when she was alive, she used to say 'Everything will be fine in the end and if it isn't then it's not the end' whenever me or Erin were worried about something and now I'm saying it to you", Hank says as he pulls me back from where I was hiding my face in his chest to see his eyes glisten with unshed tears as he smiles at me.

"She sounds like a great person", I say, seeing the grief evident on his face.

"She was. She would have loved to meet you, kiddo", Hank says.

I nod as I let go of him and get in bed.

"Goodnight. I love you Addie", Hank says as he turns the light on my night stand off.

"I love you too", I whisper as I watch him turn around from walking to the door. He just stands there for a few seconds before he walks to the door and leaves, gently closing the door behind him.

I close my eyes as I give in to my exhaustion and hope that tomorrow is going to be a good day.
--------------------------------------------------

"No, please stop!", I cry out as pain explodes in my head from being smashed into the wall.

My hands and legs are trapped and I can't fight back.

Suddenly, the door slams open and Hank and Antonio walk in and Greg immediately lets go of me as he grabs the kitchen knife from the counter and stabs Hank.

I see his body fall and the crimson blood surrounding him like a halo.

"NO, NO!", I cry as Greg lets out a sadistic laugh.

I'm gasping for breath as I wake up from the cruel nightmare that's been tormenting me for the past few days.

My hands are clammy and my heart is pounding.

I reach out for my phone on the night stand but remember that I already gave it to Hank.

I look at the small digital clock next to my pink nightlamp and see that the time is 2:30am.

Atleast I slept for 5 hours.

No more sleep for me tonight.

I get out of bed to go to the bathroom and wash my face and after I'm done, I have no idea what to do for another 4 hours to pass the time

I can't go back to sleep and I can't go on my phone either and aimlessly scroll through Instagram or Tiktok since Hank already took it.

Maybe I could sneak into Hank's room and quickly get my phone.

I briefly think about the idea but give up once I realise there's no way I'll be able to sneak in without waking him up.

His cop instincts and reflexes are too good.

I sigh as i take my school backpack out from under my desk and take out my textbooks deciding to be productive and do some more schoolwork.

I should be able to finish all my science worksheets today.
-------------------------------------------------

14th chapter of the book!

Please make sure to check out my other book, 'Mia Amata', which has very similar tropes to this one but is not a Chicago PD fan fiction.

Have a great day!