7

Lisa looks around at the sparkling pool. Her sunglasses shade her eyes from the sun. She feels a presence leave her side. "Roseanne, wait-"

She hears a splash and then Roseanne giggle, "Lisa, join me."

Lisa looks to their company. She'd been on many trips with Roseanne alone and those were delightful memories that she will cherish forever but she'd never been on a romantic vacation with Suzanne watching her every move. Michael steps between Suzanne's gaze and Lisa's. "I'll take your stuff. Go, join her."

"But you and Yasmine-"

Michael interrupts, "No, Lisa, go join her. Yasmine's not too fond of the sun."

Lisa looks at Yasmine who's wearing a long sleeve shirt, pants, and is at least three shades lighter from the sunblock. "Okay. Thank you, Michael." Lisa takes her ring off her neck and puts it in her bag, she's got a silicone one on her finger that Roseanne bought so they could swim and go on adventures without worrying about the well-being of the metal.

Lisa launched into the pool and joined Roseanne. "Hi, baby." Roseanne swims close to Lisa and treads water in front of her. Roseanne dips under the water and opens her mouth, letting the water collect in her mouth. Lisa is too late to react; Roseanne spits the water out at her. Diego laughs from the side of the pool.

Lisa squeals. "I can't believe I let you kiss me with that mouth!" Lisa uses her formal training to swim away from Roseanne but Roseanne catches her anyway.

"You don't even want to know the other places I put my mouth." Roseanne smirks, cornering Lisa against the pool wall.

"Roseanne," Lisa's voice is stern but they both know Lisa likes where this is heading.

Roseanne's lips capture hers in a sweet kiss. Roseanne hears the clearing of a throat and separates. "Girls, behave." The sounds of screaming kids and the adults ordering various drinks settle into Roseanne's ears.

"Sorry, Mom." Roseanne takes a step back to see Lisa blush. Roseanne swims to go after a new target: poor Diego but Lisa stays back.

"Thank you for the vacation, Suzanne." Lisa stays where she is when Suzanne dips her legs in the pool. Lisa vaguely hears Diego's protests. Lisa has no worries, Roseanne's the best older sister she's ever met. She may be playful but she knows what too far is. "This is a different speed than Roseanne and I's usual."

"You know," Suzanne starts. "You can call me Mom. Just like how Roseanne calls Marie Ma." Suzanne looks over to Diego and Roseanne playing. They're taunting Michael into the pool now. "For as long as you and Roseanne have been dating, it's been you and Roseanne, Roseanne and you. Your lives are intertwined. Roseanne's got her degree, you've got yours. You are free of the rules—what's holding you back?"

Lisa hummed, turning to face Suzanne. "It's not about something holding me back, or even the perfect timing. It's about what I want, what Roseanne wants. To us, not to you and Jillian or even the public, that promise ring meant our inevitability. It was a proposal in our own right."

Suzanne frowned, "You are not getting away with that shit with Roseanne."

Lisa laughed so hard that Roseanne looked over just to get dunked under the water by Michael and Diego. "Trust me, I am aware. You think Roseanne doesn't talk loudly to Jennie in our kitchen and drops hints about her ring size and romance." Lisa shook her head. "I bought us a house."

Suzanne raised a brow. "Close to home?"

Lisa smiled. "I'm not looking to meet the end of anyone's shotgun—or futuristic taser—of course, it's close to home. I can't leave Ma and we all know Roseanne downplays how much she misses Diego when we're in our apartment in the city."