Chapter 28

Becky's pov.

I looked away, positively rattled, "I'm nothing like you." Once I caught my breath, I gazed back at Freen with a burning glare, "You're a sickening murderer," I didn't care about ethics or politeness anymore.

Freen leered, "Am I now?" She leaned back in her chair, indurated fingers reaching out to touch her jaw in a patronizing fashion.

"God, you kill one or two worthless women, and suddenly you're the worst abomination to walk on the face of the earth," Freen's tone was animated, meant for the sarcastic ridiculing of cowardly old me seated opposite to her. I opened my mouth, in a measly attempt to fire back, when suddenly it struck upon me; "One or two?"

Freen sat there, observing me, wordless.

I stood up, "You.....you killed seven women, not one or two."

Freen rose up too, gazing into my dark eyes, towering over my height.

"Well then, at least you're not as naive as we thought," Freen taunted, the hint of frisk back in her tone. The hint of insanity back on her face.

It was like a pile of loaded bricks that suddenly fell upon my brain, as I suddenly recalled something I'd faintly pondered on before. And then it clicked.

Briskly, my fingers reached out to open up the blue file, all while my eyes never leaving those magnificent pair of blue ones in front of me. I flicked through the documents until I landed on the one I was looking for, labelled in bold letters- Victimology.

"Do you know who this is?" I pointed towards a small photograph of a young girl, smiling as if it were from a yearbooj photo. Just below it, another one of the same girl. Except this time; her abdomen was sliced open, blood haloing all over the cemented footpath underneath her mangled body, her head twisted in a rather odd angle. "Do you know who this is?" I repeated, albeit my voice coming out a bit more broken this time around.

"She has a beautiful smile," Freen glimpsed at the photographs, then back at me, "Pretty girl, this Yun jin."

"Park Yun Jin, the first girl you killed," I then turned the page, the photos of another woman on display, "Do you recognize her?"

Freen's eyes lingered on the sparkling dark orbs of the middle aged woman, as she nodded. I flickered through some more pages, "And her?"

Freen nodded yet again, more sombre.

"Kim Ha Ri and Bae Suzy. The third and the last respectively." With my breath held, I began. "All three of them had disappeared when they were out in public. They had families, people who would look for them," I looked up at Freen, searching for something in her undeterred eyes.

For the first time in what felt like quite a while, my voice wasn't shaky. "These women were chosen randomly." Some more pages were turned, and in a flash of white, more grisly pictures stuck out.

"But these women.." I glimpsed downwards, eyes landing on the small fonts that spelt out the deceased women's names.

"They had been burnt. Mutilated and burnt with gasoline, alive."

Freen Chankimha stood unflinching, face indifferent to whatever she was being subjected to hear.

"Min Seo A was a recluse, Im Mi Ah and Kim So Min were orphans, and Kim Tae Ha was a prostitute. No one to look for them." I put down the file, leaning in towards the monster involuntarily. "Everyone except Ms. Kim Tae ha had either filed a report or told someone that they were being followed, few days before they disappeared." I finished with a trembling spell of breath.

Freen Chankimha's face remained impassive, not an ounce of human instinct, driving me to the edge. Time was a tricky thing. Some days, it could feel like Egyptian sand, trickling down from in between your hands rapidly; and some days, it was the stock-still heart that refused to beat one last time again.

But today, time was a dangerous thing. What it brought with it, could very well morph into my darkest nightmares. Gathering whatever shred of adrenaline that was left in me, I whispered, "Who are you?"

My voice came out meeker and broken than I intended to.

"Are you scared Rebecca?"

"No," My reply came within the span of a millisecond, leaving no space for debate. Yet my pulsating heartbeat begged to differ.

"Why did you burn the four women?"

Freen's gaze struck on the tip of my nose, awfully close to my lips, intense moments of silence passing by.

"What was different with those girls? Why did you kill them?" I repeated, my stance withering away slowly. Our forms stood stoic against each other. I could feel each breath that Freen took and was positive, she could too.

Freen leaned in closer, the scent of ocean air intoxicating the entirety of my respiratory system.

"I didn't."

_________________________________________

A/N: Vote? Comment? Follow? See yaa <3