Chapter 3: A Friendship Fractured

As the days turned into weeks, the distance between Lucas and Ethan grew. Lucas's heart ached with the loss of their friendship, but his fear and guilt kept him from reaching out. He focused on his studies, burying himself in books and assignments to distract himself from the pain.

One afternoon, while studying in the library, Lucas noticed a commotion. Glancing up, he saw Ethan laughing with a tall, athletic guy—Marco, the university's star basketball player. Marco was well-known for his charm and good looks, and it seemed he had taken a particular interest in Ethan.

Lucas's heart sank as he watched Marco lean in closer to Ethan, their laughter filling the air. A pang of jealousy hit him, and he struggled to focus on his work. He couldn't help but feel that he was losing Ethan to someone else.

The jealousy gnawed at him, making it harder to ignore his true feelings. Seeing Ethan with Marco brought all his insecurities to the surface, and he realized just how much he cared for Ethan.

One evening, Lucas decided he couldn't take it anymore. He needed to talk to Ethan, to try and salvage their friendship if nothing else. He found Ethan at a café near campus, sitting with Marco. Summoning all his courage, Lucas approached their table.

"Ethan, can we talk?" Lucas asked, his voice tense.

Ethan looked surprised but nodded. "Sure, Lucas. What's up?"

Lucas led Ethan away from the crowd, his mind racing. "I need to tell you something. Seeing you with Marco... it made me realize how much I care about you. I was scared before, but I can't ignore my feelings anymore."

Ethan's eyes widened in shock and confusion. "Lucas, you rejected me. You can't just change your mind because you're jealous."

"I know," Lucas admitted, his voice shaking. "But I was wrong. I was scared of what people would think, but none of that matters if it means losing you."

Ethan sighed, looking torn. "Lucas, you hurt me. It's not that simple."

Lucas nodded, feeling the weight of his mistake. "I understand. But please, give me a chance to make it right."

Ethan looked at Lucas for a long moment before nodding slowly. "Okay. But you have to prove that you're serious."

Lucas nodded, feeling a sense of relief. He was determined to show Ethan that he was committed to their relationship, no matter what anyone else thought.