Chapter 2: A Confession Rejected

Lucas and Ethan's bond had grown stronger since their reunion. However, for Lucas, the friendship had started to feel like something more. Conflicted and uncertain, Lucas spent many sleepless nights pondering his feelings. He was terrified of how his family and friends would react, especially in a society that wasn't always accepting.

One evening, as they sat under the acacia tree in the Sunken Garden, Ethan turned to Lucas, his expression serious.

"Lucas, there's something I need to tell you," Ethan began, his heart pounding. "I think I have feelings for you. More than just friends."

Lucas felt a wave of emotions—joy, fear, and anxiety. He had anticipated this moment, but now that it was here, he didn't know how to respond.

"Ethan, I... I don't know if this is a good idea," Lucas stammered, his mind racing. "I'm scared of what people will think. What our families will say."

Ethan's face fell, a mixture of hurt and confusion in his eyes. "Lucas, I understand your fears. But we can't let other people's opinions dictate our happiness."

Lucas shook his head, feeling the weight of his decision. "I'm sorry, Ethan. I can't do this."

Ethan's eyes widened, clearly taken aback. "What do you mean you can't do this? Are you saying you don't have feelings for me?"

"It's not that," Lucas replied, his voice breaking. "I do care about you, Ethan. But I'm just... scared. My family, my friends—what if they don't accept us?"

Ethan's expression hardened. "So you're going to let fear control your life? What about what we have? Doesn't that matter more than what other people think?"

"Of course it matters," Lucas said, tears welling up in his eyes. "But I can't help how I feel. I don't want to lose my family or be judged by everyone."

Ethan stood up, his face a mask of disappointment and anger. "I thought you were stronger than this, Lucas. I thought we were stronger than this."

With that, Ethan turned and walked away, leaving Lucas alone under the tree. The rejection left a deep rift between them, and Lucas couldn't shake the feeling that he had just made a terrible mistake.

In the following days, Lucas did his best to avoid Ethan. He changed his usual routines, skipping their regular lunch breaks and avoiding places where he might run into him. Their once inseparable bond had turned sour, and the tension was palpable.