36 ¶¶ EVERYWHERE

~*~
ASHLEY

"
My head was spinning; heroin, rehab, Montague. How did I not notice the signs at the time? Even if Jayden was never violent, when we dated, I should've noticed. The spots on his arms, the mood swings. How had I been so blind?

I looked at Jayden, who seemed smaller now, burdened by the weight of his confessions. His eyes were downcast, his shoulders slumped. He was a different man from the one I fell in love with, yet the pain in his eyes reminded me of the Jayden I knew.

"How did I miss it?" I whispered, more to myself than to him.

Jayden looked up, guilt etched into his features. "I was good at hiding it, Ashley. I didn't want you to see that side of me."

I shook my head, tears welling up in my eyes. "I.. don't know what to say."

He walked towards me. "I don't expect you to say anything. I'm.." He paused and took a deep breath. "I'm really sorry Ashley, for everything.
"I didn't want to drag you down with me," he said, his voice trembling. "You deserved better."

The silence between us was heavy, filled with unspoken words and lingering pain. I struggled to reconcile the man in front of me with the Jayden I had known. The man who had loved me, made me laugh, and now, the man who had kept such a dark secret.

"And Montague?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper. "How does he fit into all of this?"

Jayden sighed deeply. "I don't even know how he found about all of this or why he's doing it."

My heart ached, not just for Jayden, but for the chaos that our lives had become. "What are we going to do?"

"I'll fix this." Jayden said firmly, a flicker of determination in his eyes. "I'll talk to PR and everyone else, neither your nor Jordan will be at risk."

I nodded, trying to find strength in his resolve before turning away. This was all too much.

Jayden reached out, taking my hand in his. "I'm so sorry for everything, Ashley. I want to make things right, for us, for Jordan."

A tear slipped down my cheek, and I unknowingly squeezed his hand. I'd be lying if I said my life wasn't way easier when I learned to survive without him. But it's not like I can change anything about it.

Whether or not I wanted to admit it. I still felt something for Jayden. I didn't know if it was love he'll, I don't even know what to call it.

My heart ached for the years he faced turmoil both in rehab and even with me. How had I been so blind and not noticed Jayden wasn't fine.

"And me?" I paused to clear my clogged throat. "What do I do?"

"Just stay out of sight for now. If I can't convince Montague to drop this he might proceed to leak those photos. But even if he does, it'll be over as soon as it happens, I promise."

I looked at him, seeing the resolve in his eyes. It wouldn't be easy, but Jayden was willing to face the consequences of his past. I could see the sincerity in his apology, the determination to make amends.

"Okay," I said finally. "We do this together. But you have to promise me, Jayden. No more lies. No more hiding."

"I promise," he said, his voice thick with emotion. "No more lies."

~*~
JAYDEN
"

Ashley’s words echoed in my mind as I left her apartment. No more lies. No more hiding. The promise hung heavy on my shoulders, a weight I carried as I drove to Montague’s office. The city blurred past, my mind consumed with a mix of fear and anger.