6

Yeji found herself nervously looking at the café's door. She was expecting a furious Ryujin to enter at any moment, if she came at all. Minju's visit on Saturday had shaken her up enough to make her forget everything else and, when she remembered, it was too late. She thought about apologizing to the short-haired woman, but if she was anything like Minju, the apology would fall on deaf ears, so she didn't know what to do or what to expect. Although if she thought about it, she didn't owe Ryujin anything. It was her who had decided to waste money without asking her first.

"Oh, hey, Yeji, are you ok?" Ryujin, who sounded a bit out of breath, had come in exactly when she was distracted enough to not notice her until she spoke.

"Yes, I'm ok, why?" She asked tentatively. Why was she asking her if she was ok? It didn't make sense.

"You never called, so I got worried. I thought maybe something had happened to you. Are you sure you're ok?" She insisted while looking her up and down, like checking for some damage. Yeji felt her stomach tingle. Among the scenarios she imagined, she hadn't expected Ryujin to be worried about her.

"Yes, I'm sorry I didn't call you." The apology came naturally to her when she wasn't thinking about all sorts of scenarios where Ryujin would turn out to be a horrible person. She clearly wasn't. And Yeji was starting to think that, maybe, Ryujin wasn't as much as Minju as she initially thought. "Something came up, so I apologize." She insisted.

"I hope it wasn't something bad." Her worried expression remained on her face.

"Ryujin, I promise I'm fine, okay?" She tried to sound as honest as possible. "In fact, let me repay you and let's go out somewhere on Thursday." She suggested. A part of her felt like a terrible person because that was exactly the day Minju told her she would visit her again. If she was with Ryujin, Minju wouldn't find her at home. "Unless you're busy-"

"No." She didn't let her finish. "Thursday is perfect."

*****

"I still can't believe it." Chaeryeong looked at her from Ryujin's bed while her friend changed jackets for the nth time. "What did you do?"

"I have no idea." She shrugged.

"Are you sure it was her who suggested going out?" She was skeptical.

"I'm sure." She put on a red jacket. "How do I look?" She straightened her arms and looked at Chaeryeong.

"Good."

"Just good?" She frowned. Chaeryeong just shrugged. Ryujin chose a gray blazer this time and looked at herself in the mirror.

"Are you gonna sleep with her tonight?"

"I don't know." She removed the blazer and left it on a pile of clothes on the bed, next to where her friend was sitting.

"You don't want to?" The answer had caught her by surprise.

"Of course I want to, but it's not my priority right now." She took a black leather jacket and put it on. "I don't mind waiting." Chaeryeong opened her eyes wide at her statement but gave her a thumbs up, approving the choice of jacket. "Maybe I should change my t-shirt now."

"No, stop it. You're nervous, nothing you wear is gonna convince you." She said calmly. "Everything will go just fine."

"You think so?"

"This is the first time you have worked so hard for a girl. That alone is great." She stated, getting up from the bed and stepping closer to Ryujin.

"It has to be perfect."

"You really like her, huh?" Chaeryeong asked, Ryujin just shrugged to play it down. "You don't have to hide it, Ryujinah. I'm your best friend."

She didn't answer and just went to spray herself with perfume.