7 | finding a muse and a look in the past

some old wounds never truly heal...

H A R R Y P O T T E R

Harry's hands moved effortlessly over the chords of his guitar, the instrument sat loosely over his leg. He hummed along as he played the same chord progression over and over again, the melody soothing to him, assuaging his racing thoughts and keeping him grounded.

He had just returned from Dumbledore's office, where they had begun their 'private lessons' which, in reality, was Dumbledore filling him in on things and trying to solve some sort of problem that he didn't entirely understand. It was always pieces of information, and never the entire story. The Headmaster showed him glimpses of his memories, from when Voldemort was still Tom Riddle and while Harry didn't find them particularly informative, Dumbledore seemed to disagree.

"Still stuck on it?" someone spoke and his hand slipped, the next note sounding sharp and wrong. He grimaced, the sound sending uncomfortable shivers down his spine. Harry looked up to find Ron leaning against the bedpost and watching him play. "Why don't you ask your dad? Or Sirius?" he asked and Harry rolled his eyes at the suggestion. "Aren't they more musically knowledgeable?"

"I'm going to figure it out," Harry countered, resuming the sequence of notes with ease. He looked back at Ron, his fingers dancing across the strings of the guitar as though they were programmed to play the one chord progression and nothing else. "I thought you were with Emery?"

"She wanted to hang out with her dads before they went home," Ron explained, tapping his fingers against the bedpost. James and Sirius had stayed through the weekend, apparently some of the members of the Order couldn't make it, so they'd be meeting tomorrow instead. Harry spent the whole day yesterday with his dad and they had plans to meet up later but for now, he was letting him be with his mom. "I think I'm a lost cause with Potions anyway," he huffed, pushing himself off the bedpost and sitting at Harry's side. "Do you think it's too late to drop the class?"

Harry snorted at this, a smile making its way onto his face, "What would your excuse to hang out with Emery be then?"

"Quidditch," Ron said easily and Harry almost laughed at how quickly he answered. The redhead turned a bright red color, all the way to the tips of his ears. "I mean..." he cleared his throat. "Why would I need an excuse to hang out with her?"

Harry smiled in response, not saying a word as he continued to play the guitar. Picking the Quidditch team had been relatively easy. Violet was a shoo in, with or without his feelings for her. Ginny was a new member but he was happy with her skill level. The Keeper position came down to Cormac and Ron. Thankfully, Ron managed to save five shots whereas Cormac only saved four. Admittedly, Harry had expected Cormac to win out. Not because he doubted his friend's skills, but because Ron's nerves tended to get the best of him. He only hoped that the decision wasn't a mistake. Emery proved to be far better than Harry had expected and he was happy to bring her on as the first line Chaser. Katie Bell remained as well as a few other prior members.