63

Last night we met the liquor talk.
« ♫ ♡ ♫ »

Elena's POV
I wake up with quite a headache. Last night, I really let myself go, and not just with alcohol. I actually behaved terribly.

I look to the side and see that the spot next to me is empty. Pablo must have already gone to training. I feel incredibly guilty, but on the other hand, being with Pedri feels so right. He makes me feel valued in a way I haven't felt in a long time.

I was never really valued at home. My mother was pregnant with twins during Valerie's pregnancy, but she lost the other baby early on. After that, she didn't want any more children, but then she unexpectedly got pregnant again despite being on birth control. She was, to put it mildly, not happy, but it was too late in the pregnancy to do anything about it.

Pedri has always had an effect on me. From the very first moment in Seville, where he bought me a drink in that old café because I looked so alone. I genuinely don't think his intention was to end up in bed with me; it just happened.

Sometimes, things just happen.

I smile as I think back to our conversation on the way home last night.

"I think we need to talk," he says then.

"Yeah, I think so too," I sigh.

We walk toward a bench by the side of the road. The streets are eerily quiet; we haven't seen anyone or any cars for a while. The silence feels almost oppressive, broken only by our footsteps.

"What we did could have really gone wrong," sighs Pedri, breaking the silence.

I look at him and nod. "It was incredibly risky. I can't believe we actually did that."

"But it felt so good," he groans, making me laugh. He's right. It was amazing. It seems like every time Pedri and I get intimate, it just gets better.

"But I'm scared," Pedri says softly after a moment. "I'm really starting to fall for you, and that terrifies me. It means I have something to lose, even though I don't really have you."

I open my mouth to say something, but the words get stuck in my throat. Pedri starts to laugh, but it's a painful, hollow sound.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have said that," he sighs.

"No, I'm glad you did," I say, taking his hand.

"But I'm putting you in a terrible position. I would never ask you to wait around for me to leave Pablo."

I bite my lip, trying to steady my nerves. "I know I said in the hotel that it was just sex and friendship for me, but I think I need to adjust that. I'm really starting to have feelings for you, Pedri González."

Pedri's mouth falls open. "Are you serious?"

"Yes. And it's driving me crazy because I don't know what to do. I can't just dump Pablo and be with you. That would cause too many problems, and he doesn't deserve that. It confuses me because this is not how I planned my life."

"But he doesn't deserve a girlfriend who doesn't love him anymore and is cheating on him," Pedri retorts.

"I do love him," I protest.

"Yeah, yeah, you love him but you're not in love with him," he corrects himself grudgingly.

"Something like that," I mumble.

We sit in silence for a moment, the weight of our words hanging heavily between us. I look at Pedri, his expression a mix of hope and fear.

"I wish things were simpler," I whisper.

"Me too," he replies. "But life isn't simple, is it?"

I shake my head. "No, it's not. And I don't know what the right thing to do is. I've been with Pablo for so long. We have so much history. But with you... it's different. It's exciting and new."

"And real," Pedri adds softly.

"And real," I agree, squeezing his hand.

Pedri takes a deep breath. "Elena, I don't want to push you into anything. But I need to know where we stand. Where I stand."

I look into his eyes, the sincerity and vulnerability there almost overwhelming. "I don't have all the answers yet, Pedri. But I know that what we have is special. And I don't want to lose that."

He nods, a small smile playing at his lips. "I understand. You're in a difficult situation. You're with Gavi for so long. But you're not just someone I'm physically attracted to. I enjoy spending time with you, talking about anything and everything. It's... different."

I smile, feeling warmth spread through me. "I'm glad," I say softly. "Because I feel the same. You're more than just a fling or a secret. You're someone I care about deeply."

I lean in and rest my head on his shoulder, feeling the steady beat of his heart. The future is uncertain, and there are no easy answers. But in this moment, with Pedri by my side, I feel a glimmer of hope.

I take a deep breath, steeling myself. "I have feelings for you, Pedri. Real feelings. But breaking up with Pablo... it's not something I can just do easily. We've been through so much together. But I also know that staying with him out of obligation isn't fair to either of us."

Pedri nods, his expression serious. "I understand. And whatever you decide, I'll support you. But you need to be honest with yourself and with Pablo. The longer your decision takes, the more it will hurt. Either you hurt Pablo a lot, or me, but especially yourself."

I bite my lip, feeling tears welling up in my eyes. "I know. And I will. I just... I need a bit more time to figure things out. Would you even want me as you girlfriend?"

The silence stretches, and I can almost hear the wheels turning in his head. "Elena," he finally says, his voice soft. "You have no idea how much I want that. To call you my girlfriend in the future, to be with you openly. But..."

"But?" I prompt, my heart sinking slightly.

"But I can't do that to Pablo," he says, his voice heavy with regret. "And the media... They would tear us apart. You know how it is."

I bite my lip, trying to hold back tears. "So, you're saying we can't be together?"

"No, that's not what I'm saying," he says quickly. "Elena, you make me the happiest man on earth. When I'm with you, it's the first time in a long while that I've felt genuinely happy. But we have to be careful. We have to think about the consequences."

I nod. "I understand. But I can't keep sneaking around forever. It hurts too much. And I hurt Pablo."

"I know," he sighs. "And I don't want to put you through that."

I swallow hard, fighting back the lump in my throat. "So, what do we do now?"

"We've to honest with each other," he says firmly. "Because I want to be with you, Elena. More than anything."

A small smile tugs at my lips.

He hesitates before speaking again. "But, Elena, we're both a bit tipsy right now. Emotions are running high. Let's sleep on it. Tomorrow, when we're clear-headed, we can talk again. Make sure we both really want this."