77

Just think of the fun things we could do.
« ♫ ♡ ♫ »

Pablo's POV
As I help Elena into bed, I can see the exhaustion etched on her face. The day has taken a toll on her, and she needs rest more than anything right now. She mumbles a thank you as she settles into the pillows, her eyes fluttering shut almost immediately. I brush a strand of hair from her forehead and whisper, "Get some rest, Elena. You need it."

"What about dinner. I have to go to the supermarket," she opens her eyes. "Don't worry about that. I'll do the grocery shopping and make dinner."

"You can't even fry an egg," she laughs. I look at her and start laughing too. "I'm going to try my best. Please get some rest now."

I quietly leave the room, closing the door softly behind me. As I head downstairs, I find Pedri sitting on the couch, his face a mix of worry and frustration. He looks up when he hears me and gives a small, tired smile.

"Thanks for what you did back there," I say, walking over and sitting beside him. "You really stood up for her, and I appreciate that."

Pedri shrugs, trying to downplay his actions, but I can see the concern in his eyes. "It was nothing, Gavi. I couldn't just stand by and let her mother treat her like that."

I nod, understanding. "Still, it means a lot to me. She's been through so much, and seeing someone stand up for her... it's important."

"Did you know?" he asks me. "About what?"

"That her mother abuses her?" he asks and swallows audibly.

"Yes and know. I saw it once. When we were younger. When we got into a relationship she told me a few things, but I never saw her mom doing it. Ofcourse I believed Elena. I wanted to take her away from her parents, but Elena didn't want that. Besides, her mother is an important lawyer, you don't win easily against her. When Barça came with the offer, I was very happy that I could take Elena with me. She is safe here," I tell him. I never told someone about her situation.

"It may not always seem like it, but I really do my best. The way I'm a boyfriend doesn't win any beauty contests. I'm not perfect and sometimes I really think Elena deserves better. But we've been together for so long, we know each other so well. It's because we're still young, but otherwise I would have asked her to marry me yesterday rather than today. So that I can give her everything she deserves," I continue and Pedri looks shocked at me.

"But did you never said anything against her parents?" he asks. "I did, but they never listened to me. Her parents like me very much and I think maybe it better to have them as friend than as enemies. I want to protect Elena so much as I can."

We sit in silence for a moment, the events of the day weighing heavily on both of us. Finally, I break the silence. "I'm going to run out and get some groceries. We need a few things."

Pedri stands up immediately. "I can do that. You've done enough today. Let me handle it."

I shake my head, smiling at his offer. "No, it's okay. I don't want you to have to worry about that while you're our guest. Besides, you being here is already a big help. Let me take care of this."

Pedri looks at me, clearly wanting to argue, but then he sighs and nods. "Alright, if you insist. But let me know if you need anything else."

"I will," I promise. "Just keep an eye on Elena for me. She might wake up and need someone."

He nods again, and I can see the relief in his eyes. "Of course. I'll stay here with her."

I stand up and head to the kitchen, grabbing my keys and a shopping list. As I'm about to leave, I turn back to Pedri. "Seriously, thank you. It means a lot to have you here."