~ THE MEET UP ~

Avi got down from the bus and reached his PG. He threw his bag on his bed and ran to the rest room to freshen up. It was 6 in the evening. He still had some time before he met Agasthya. He spent almost 15 minutes deciding what he would wear. After which seemed like an eternity, with piles of clothes on his bed, he decided to finish his assignment thinking about how the professor would finish him off if he delayed the submission. He tried looking for his bag which was nowhere to be seen. The poor bag was buried under the pile of his clothes probably seeking for help to bring it out of the suffocation if it could talk. Realising the mess he had created, he cleaned it up and sat down to complete his work. 45 minutes of fruitfulness, then he realised he had to take permission to stay out of the PG for the night, he made his way towards the warden’s room. Avi returned to his room with a victorious face, evident that he had gotten the permission, he continued his work. It was almost 8:30 at night. Avi booked a cab to Agasthya’s home which was a 20-minute drive, and ringed him up as soon as he got down in front of his best friend’s house.

The door swinged open, Agasthya was wearing his Bermuda and banyan, a casual clothing in the South Indian Brahman household. The holy thread (called as Janivara) peaked out from his shoulder. Avi smiled widely and punched Agasthya on his shoulder. “Amma I am here, and Agasthya has started to hit me as soon as I got home,” Avi lied in a teasing tone. Avi entered the home and pushed past his best friend and walked to Savithri Sharma, Agasthya’s mother who was cooking in the kitchen. “Aunty,” Avi sang and hugged his favourite person, “I missed you so much”, he added. Savithri was too happy to see Avi express his feelings, his love towards anything and everything. She found it extremely adorable reminding of her son who once used to be as carefree and bubbly as Avi. “I missed you too sweetheart”, Savithri kissed Avi on his cheeks and gave him her blessings. “Amma loves me more” Avi teased.

The three of them finished the dinner, Avi and Agasthya were in charge of the dishes, while Agasthya’s mother cleaned the dining area. Savithri left to sleep and let the two young boys to catch up on their lives.

Agasthya head locked Avi as soon as his mother left. “This is for all the lies you told today to trouble me”, he said. Avi laughed.  They updated each other about the things that were happening. Agasthya was Avi’s best adviser. Agasthya had the most practical answer for all the problems and Avi followed them religiously. Avi decided to spend the night as it was already late. Agasthya made the bed for Avi and he slept on the floor. When they were tucked in bed Agasthya called Avi and questioned “Are you okay?”

How nice it was to be asked something as trivial as this. “I am doing okay, don’t worry,” Avi replied. Agasthya smiled. “Oh! I totally forgot” Avi exclaimed, “We are having an open day next week on the Saturday, I am sure you will love all the exhibitions. Visit the microbiology department” he continued. Agasthya was visibly excited and asked “Are you having any exhibits? I can come on the Saturday and see you”. Avi was happy that his best friend would finally meet his other friends, “Amazing then, you can meet my friends,” Avi clapped. Avi and Agasthya wrapped up for the night and dozed off into sleep, thinking about the science exhibition. Science enthusiasts visiting a science exhibition. Life could not be any better. Little did they know that this would bring significant changes in their lives. 5 different worlds, meeting at an intersection. The science exhibition.