Chapter 1: Things Are Gonna Get Weird

"GRAVITY FAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSS!!" Mabel screeched as loud as her little lungs could manage, shaking her brother, Dipper, with uncontained excitement.

Dipper gently pushed Mabel off him. "I get it! You're excited to go back to Gravity Falls. I heard you the first hundred times you said it. Now can you please stop screaming?"

"You got quite the pair of lungs on ya, I'll give you that. But if you keep hollering, my hearing might give out!" An older voice called out from the front, it belonging to none other than Stanley Pines.

Dipper and Mabel were currently in the back of his car, taking a joyride down a long road surrounded by woodland. Instead of taking the bus like usual, their parents allowed Stanley to take them directly, so the journey turned into a little family road trip.

Stanley wanted to use this prime opportunity to get some exclusive time with the kids before they met up with everyone else. After all, it was his idea to use the road trip as a bonding experience—an idea he was slowly starting to regret.

Mabel pouted. "Your hearing is already giving out, Grunkle Stan!"

"Hey! The truth hurts, y'know." Suddenly, a pig oinked, causing Stanley to look down at the passenger seat, where Waddles sat. "I know, right? Kids these days."

Mabel rolled her eyes before turning back to Dipper. "How can you not be as excited as me? We're going to—"

"Gravity Falls, yeah, I know," Dipper finished for her before continuing. "And who said I wasn't excited? I'm very excited! I'm so excited, I want to jump out of this car right now! But unlike you, I have a little self-control." He crossed his arms.

Mabel gasped exaggeratedly in response, as if he just accused her of committing the foulest crime. "I have self-control!"

Dipper chuckled. "Yeah, right. You're the same person who chanted 'Gravity Falls' nonstop for four hours straight!"

"Those were... dark times..." Stanley shivered.

"Seriously, it's only been one school year, and you're acting like we haven't seen everyone in decades. I think you miss them a little too much."

"Oh yeah? Well, what about you?" Mabel pointed to Dipper's head, where he wore his signature hat with the pine tree symbol. "The second school ended, you were quick to put that on!"

"W-Well look at you! You're still wearing that same sweater!" Dipper deflected, pointing at Mabel's pink sweater with the shooting star. She could've picked any of her (many) sweaters to wear, but she chose that one specifically. A detail Dipper was quick to point out. "I'm not surprised it still fits. You haven't grown a single inch since last summer."

"You haven't either!"

"Yeah I have!"

"Oh yeah? Why am I still taller than you, then?"

"It's called a ghost inch."

"What? That's not real."

"Is so!"

"Is not!"

"Is so!"

"Is—"

"Kids!" Stanley interrupted, ceasing the twins' obnoxious bickering. "You're both thirteen and survived your first year of high school. Quit acting like children!" The car filled with ambient noises from the outside road as the conversation paused. "And Mabel's right. Ghost inches are totally not a real thing. That just sounds dumb."

There was another brief pause. However, after the moment passed, the car filled with cheerful laughter.

"Man, I missed this," Dipper admitted.