Chapter 2: He Invoked the Ancient Power

"Hey, dudes, how's this look?" Soos asked, standing atop a ladder while presenting the "Welcome back!" banner he and Melody just finished wrapping around the front of the Mystery Shack.

"Looking good!" Stanford answered with a thumbs up, then rested both hands on his hips. "The kids are gonna love it."

Soos pumped his fist into the air. "Yes!" His small celebration got a chuckle out of Melody, who was standing on a different ladder at the other end of the banner.

Stanford turned to the Mystery Shack's front yard, watching everyone else help set up the welcoming party for the twins.

Over at a long table, Wendy and Pacifica were placing drinks and other refreshments; At the other end of the table, Candy and Grenda were setting up various snacks and gifts. Even Li'l Gideon was helping out occasionally, though everyone knew he was mostly there for Mabel.

Other townsfolk were invited to attend the party, so they should be arriving soon.

After surveying the front yard, Stanford rolled down his sleeve to check the time on his watch. "Stanley should be here with the kids any minute now." He said with excitement resonating in his voice.

"I'm like, so ready to get this show on the road, you have no idea," said a pumped-up Soos as he climbed down the ladder.

"I'm sure you are, Soos. And we will! Everyone will arrive in just..." Stanford trailed off as he stared at Soos, noticing the light on him suddenly get darker in an instant, which was odd. The weather report said it was going to be sunny and clear skies today!

"Whoa, who turned off the lights?" Soos asked, as if forgetting they were outside.

Immediately, both men looked up. They expected to see a massive cloud, but instead, the sun was covered by a large black vessel.

It didn't take long for the others to notice. Wendy was the first to run up beside Stanford and point it out. "What the heck is that thing?!"

"I... I don't know." Stanford recognized it as a ship of some sort, though it was unlike any he had ever seen. "What is it doing?" He muttered to himself, watching the ship pass overhead with a low rumble.

As the ship passed, the long table vibrated heavily, causing the drinks to spill and the snacks to fall onto the grass. Even the glass punch bowl shattered, making Candy and Grenda yelp.

Stanford watched the ship closely as it hovered a good distance away, quickly noticing two things about it. For one, there was an eerie blue glow pulsing from its bottom. And two, there was no propulsion mechanism anywhere on its black surface—at least none that were external. How was it even moving?

Before Stanford could get an answer, the ship came to a stop. He squinted his eyes, finding the ship's placement particularly odd. It threw him off; He didn't know why, but felt the reason was obvious. It was on the tip of his tongue...

Stanford wasn't afforded much time to ponder, as the blue glow under the ship brightened for an instant, then exploded outward into a powerful shockwave. The shockwave blew over everyone harshly, yet harmlessly.

Everyone was fine. The same could not be said for the decorations. Everything was thrown everywhere, ruining the hours of work everyone had put in. "Gosh dangit! Can't we have one week in this town without somethin' going wrong?!" Gideon complained with a small, angry hop.

As much as Stanford wanted to get mad about that, he had bigger things to worry about, such as figuring out what that shockwave did. He whipped out a futuristic device from his jacket pocket, waving it around in the air. It resembled a radio, almost. What separated it from a normal radio was that its screen displayed various statistics and symbols, all of which only Stanford could read, most likely.