9

I knocked on the door and Athena answered. "Y/N! What a surprise, I thought you and Buck were gonna come together."

"He's not here yet?" I asked. "Not yet." I walked into the kitchen and said hello to Bobby.

After a few minutes Buck showed up. "Hey, there's my girl." He kissed the top of my head. "How was your day?" I asked.

"Boring, but it's better now." We sat at the dinning table and enjoyed each others company.

"So I told that lawyer off big-time, you know I said, you're not gonna get me to sign any affidavit that blames the 118 for anything." I looked at him confused.

"What lawyer Buck?" I placed my hand on his. "Just some lawyer." He said ignoring my question completely.

"Thanks Buck, I appreciate that." Bobby said. "Please the nerve of this guy. To think I would turn on my friends?" He rubbed his hands together.

"I missed your cooking Cap." Bobby looked up. "Well I missed your eating, never had to worry about left overs."

"Collard greens?" Athena offered. I stuck out my plate to have some but Buck said, "Not for me, I can't eat those. Not while I'm on blood thinners."

I smiled at him knowing that he was taking his health seriously now. "Too much vitamin K." I told the table.

"Yep." He kissed the side of my head. "Sounds like you're taking your health very seriously." Athena said.

"I figure the better I manage this. The sooner I can go back to work." I smiled and rubbed his arm. "That's very mature of you Buck." Athena said.

Buck started talking about the lawyer again but this time Bobby tried interrupting him mid sentences. "I'm the dumbass." Bobby blurted.

"What?" Buck asked. "You're not ready. That's what I told them when they asked me." There was tension in the room now.

"Would anyone like any cornbread?" Athena asked. "I will take some." I said grabbing two.

"You're the reason they won't let me back?" Bobby looked at Buck, "The medication is the reason."

"Bobby is just worried about you Buck, that's all." Athena told him as I placed  a hand on his shoulder. "We all are." She added. "I thought you were on my side. I thought you were my friend."

"I am your friend, but I am also the captain of almost 20 other firefighters, whose lives and safety depend on decisions I make and I can't put them at risk. If you're not operating at 100%—" Bobby was cut off by Buck.

"I am at 100%!" He said pounding on the table. "I—maybe even more, you know. I've never felt so good."

"Buck I know you went through a lot in that tsunami and maybe you feel like you can survive anything."

"Anything. Like a knife in my back." He said standing up. "Athena, thank you for inviting me—us." He said turning to me. "I'm sorry I gotta go." He walked out. "That went great guys." I told Bobby and Athena, sipping on my wine.

Later that night I went to Eddie's house hoping that Buck would be there. "Hello Y/N." Eddie said opening the door. "Is Buckley here?." I asked.

"No ma'am." He opened the door wider inviting me in. "But you look like you need to talk."

I nodded my head eagerly and walked in. "What's on your mind?"

We sat down, and I pulled the envelope with my transfer papers out of my purse and onto the coffee table. I looked at Eddie, trying to find the right words.

"I've been offered a job," I began, my voice steady despite the turmoil inside. "An amazing opportunity at a top hospital."

Eddie's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Wow, Y/N. That's incredible. Congratulations."

"It's in New York," I said, silencing Eddie. "And the timing... it's just so complicated." My head fell into my hands.

Eddie leaned back, his expression thoughtful. "You're worried about Buck."

"Yeah," I admitted. "He's struggling so much with everything that happened during the tsunami. He's fighting to get his job back, and I don't want to add to his stress."

Eddie nodded, "Buck's been through a lot, but he's tough. He'll understand why you need to take this opportunity."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "It is. But I also love Buck, and the thought of leaving him now, when he needs support, feels... wrong."

Eddie leaned forward, "When do you leave?" I looked Eddie in the eyes. "Couple weeks from now."

Eddie smiled. "As much as we will miss you. You gotta to follow your dreams. Buck would never want you to give up something this big for him. And you know he'd do the same for you. He'd support you, no matter what."

I felt tears prick at the corners of my eyes. "I know. But it's so hard." Eddie reached out, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Look, we'll get through this. Buck's got a lot of people who care about him, me included. And as long as you two communicate and support each other, you'll find a way to make it work."

I nodded, feeling a bit of the weight lift from my shoulders. "Thank you, Eddie. I needed to hear that."

He smiled warmly. "Anytime. And when you talk to Buck, be honest with him. He deserves to know how you're feeling."

I took a deep breath, feeling more resolved. "I will. I just hope he understands."

Eddie nodded. "He will. And remember, you're not alone in this."

The next morning I woke up and invited Paige out for coffee to tell her about my job offer.

I sat at a corner table in our favorite coffee shop, nervously stirring my latte. The bell above the door chimed, and I looked up to see Paige walk in, her face lighting up when she spotted me. "Hey, Y/N!" Paige greeted, giving me a quick hug before sitting down.

"You sounded pretty serious on the phone. Whats the big news? You're not engaged are you?"

"No, no." I laughed, "I just have some news to share, and I think it would be better to tell you in person."

"You're pregnant!" She said excitedly. "Paige no! It has nothing to do with Buck."

Paige's smile faded slightly, replaced by a look of concern. "What's going on?"

I reached into my bag and pulled out an envelope, placing it on the table between them. "I got a job offer. From New York Presbyterian Hospital."

Paige's eyes widened, her expression a mix of surprise and excitement. "What, Y/N, that's amazing! Congratulations!"

"Thanks," I said, managing a small smile. "It's an incredible opportunity, I mean it's Head of OBGYN but it means leaving LA."

Paige nodded slowly, her excitement tempered by the gravity of the situation. "I mean this is huge. It's New York! You have to go!"

I sighed, looking down at my latte. "I know. It's everything I've worked for, but the thought of leaving... it's so overwhelming. And it's not just the city, it's you, it's everyone I care about here."

She looked at me, "What did Buck have to say about this?" I shook my head, "I haven't told him yet." I looked down.

"That's okay, you still have time. Right?" I teared up again, "Yeah, I leave in a couple of weeks. I just don't know how to tell him."

Paige reached across the table, taking my hand in hers. "Y/N, you've got to follow your dreams. This is an amazing opportunity, and I know how much you've wanted something like this. It's scary, but you're one of the strongest people I know. You can do this."

We spent the next hour talking about the logistics of the move, the exciting possibilities in New York, and reminiscing about our time in LA. Paige's unwavering support and encouragement made me feel more confident about the decision.