10

I headed over to Bobby and Athena's to tell them about the job and get their advice.

I pulled into the driveway of the house, my heart beating faster with each step I took toward the front door. I had known Bobby and Athena, for years. They had become my second family, offering unwavering support through the highs and lows of my career and personal life.

I knocked on the door, and it opened almost immediately. Bobby stood there, his warm smile being a comforting sight.

"Y/N, come on in," he said, stepping aside to let me enter. "Athena's just finishing up in the kitchen."

"Thanks, Bobby," I replied, taking a deep breath as she stepped inside.

"Y/N!" Athena greeted, coming out of the kitchen with a dish towel in hand. "It's so good to see you."

"You too, Athena," I said, giving her a hug. We settled in the living room, the comfortable familiarity of the space soothing my nerves. Bobby and Athena exchanged a glance, sensing that I had something important to discuss.

"So, what's on your mind?" Bobby asked, his eyes filled with concern and curiosity.

I took a deep breath, gathering my thoughts. "I have some news, and I wanted to tell you both in person."

They looked at each other excitedly, "Bucks not here, so I'm guessing nothing of that nature." Athena said.

"Nothing like that. Um, I've been offered Head of OBGYN at New York Presbyterian Hospital."

Bobby and Athena exchanged surprised looks before turning back to me. "That's incredible!" Athena said, her face lighting up with happiness. "Congratulations!" She hugged me.

"Yeah, that's amazing," Bobby joined the hug. "New York... that's a big move."

I nodded, feeling the weight of the decision. "It is. It's everything I've worked for, but it means leaving all of you."

Athena reached over, taking my hand in hers. "We're so proud of you, Y/N. You've worked so hard for this, and you deserve every bit of success. It's going to be tough, but we'll always be here for you, no matter where you are."

Bobby nodded in agreement. "She's right. This is a huge step, but it's also an incredible opportunity."

I felt a tear slip down my cheek, "Thank you, both of you. I couldn't have gotten here without you two. I'm going to miss you guys so much."

"We'll miss you too," Athena said, her eyes glistening with emotion. "But this isn't the end. It's just a new chapter."

"What does Buck think of this?" I looked down, "I haven't told him yet. I don't know how, he's just going through so much."

Bobby hugged me, "When the time is right, you'll tell him." I leaned into the embrace and felt like I could breathe again.

We sat together, talking about the future, the challenges and excitement that awaited me in New York. We were then interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Buck, is everything all right?" Bobby asked. "I'm sorry to come by so late." Athena walked to the door, "Who is it?" Athena asked. "It's Buck." I walked by Athena and saw Buck.

"I just wanted to apologize to the both of you, the three of you for walking out on dinner." He looked at me but couldn't even look me in the eye.

"Oh, things just got a little heated. No need to apologize. Why don't you come on in?" Athena answered.

"Sorry, I can't do that. Uh, this will be the last time we can talk for a while." I looked at him confused. "Buck, what is going on?" I asked him.

"I thought you should hear it from me. I figured I should be the one to deliver this." He pulled out an envelope. "I'm suing the city, the department, and you for wrongful termination."

"Come again?" Athena said as I stood in shock. "I told you I wouldn't stop fighting until I got my job back, and I won't... Even if it means fighting you."

As Bobby and Athena read the papers I stared at Buck in disbelief. I turned to Bobby and Athena as he walked off and they nodded. "I promise I had no idea he was doing this."

Athena reassured me, "It's okay Y/N, go." She said nodding towards Buck.

I got in my car and headed to Bucks apartment. I banged on the door screaming his name.

"Evan Buckley! Open this door right now!" He opened it and I immediately walked in.

"What drugs are you on! Suing the city! The 118! BOBBY?! Are you messed up in the head?" I screamed.

"Y/N, I can't talk to you." I looked at him in distraught, "Why the hell not?!" I asked putting my hands on my hips.

"Cause you're a nurse, you count as the city..." I looked at him with rage in my eyes. "I don't think it works that way, but even if it did...." I ran to my purse and pulled out the envelope, "I am not a part of Los Angeles anymore! Evan!" I shoved the paper to his chest.

He looked at me confused, "What are these?" I couldn't even look at him, "Read the damn papers."

"Transfer papers?" he muttered in disbelief. "Y/N? What is this?"

"Head of OBGYN at New York Presbyterian." Buck's brow furrowed, "You said yes already?"

I nodded my head yes, tears streaming down my face. Buck set the paper down, his expression hardening. "So, what does this mean? You're just going to pack up and leave?" I felt a lump form in my throat. "You're suing the city, I'm leaving it." I shrugged. "Seems fair."

I saw the pain in his eyes, "With your lawsuit aside, I don't want to leave, Buck. But this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for my career." Buck stood in shock. "So, you just took this opportunity without thinking about what it would do to us?" He questioned me.

I caught my breath in my throat. "Did you think about what suing the city would do to us?" I snapped back.

He stayed silent, "You know how much I love you. How much I love us. But I've worked my ass off for this." I continued.

"And what about us, Y/N?" Buck shot back, his voice rising. "What about us!?" I screamed back. "I can't just leave the 118. My whole life is here. I'm suing so I can get my job back for christ sake." He protested.

My face dropped. "I'm not asking you to come with me, I'm telling you that I am leaving. And if come with me, that's your decision, not mine." I stormed into the living room.

Buck ran a hand through his hair, frustration etched on his face. "I thought we were building a life together, here in LA. Now you're telling me you're leaving?" He followed me into the living room.

My heart ached at the pain in his voice. "I still want that life with you, Buck. But I can't just ignore this opportunity." I breathed out.

Silence hung heavy between us, the weight of our unspoken fears and uncertainties pressing down. I finally broke the silence, "Maybe we should take a break." I blurted.

"Y/N, no...that's not what I want," He whispered, reaching out to me. "I'm sorry Buck." My voice breaking, tears streaming down my face. "I'm so sorry." I repeatedly said holding him close to me.

"I'm scared Y/N." I stroked his hair. "I've never sued anyone and this lawyer is pressuring me. I'm so scared, I just wanted my job back."

"Me too." I whispered. I grabbed his face and looked him in the eyes. "But it caused you to loose some of the best people in your life." I could barely see him from how many tears had formed. "Including me..." I told him, my voice breaking as I started walking off.

He looked at me defeated. "Y/N," He reached out for me, "No, come back please."

I turned around, "I'm sorry Buck." I headed for the door, "What if you don't come back." I sighed and stopped in my tracks.

"Buck...I know how hurt you were when Abby left." I ran my finger through his hair. "And I never ever want you to feel that pain again. I will come back for you I promise. But for now, you've gotta let me go."

We stood in silence. "When do you leave?" Buck asked. I took a deep breath in. "Couple of weeks." He inhaled deeply.

"Goodbye Evan Buckley, I love you more than anything." I kissed him as if it was going to be our last.

"I love you too Y/N Y/L/N."