11

Not long after my hard conversation with Buck, the lawsuit had passed over and from what I had heard from Eddie, Buck returned to work.

Of course I spent countless sleepless nights worrying about him. I wanted to call him, but I knew deep down that I shouldn't.

During my drive home one night, I got a call from the hospital. "This is Doctor Y/L/N." The person on the line was Paige. "Hey Y/N, don't freak out but Bucks been brought into the ER."

"What!" I screamed but then remembered he wasn't my boyfriend anymore, "I mean, oh no that sucks. Why did you call me?"

She sighed, "You can't pretend you're okay for forever. Anyway he still has you listed as an emergency contact." I immediately turned my car around and headed to the hospital. "I'll be there in five." I sighed.

As I was walked into the emergency room I had a figure walk by me. "Bobby?" I said shocked. "Hey Y/N." He said quickly. I followed him up to the desk. "Excuse me, I'm looking for a patient brought in not long ago. Evan Buckley?" He said.

"Bobby? Y/N?!" Buck said confused.

"Hey." Bobby said calmly. "Hey." Buck responded back. "They said you were injured, that you cut yourself." Buck scoffed, "Yeah, I just got some shallow cuts from the broken windshield glass. I told the paramedics I was on blood thinners and they sealed the wounds."

"But they brought you here, to the ER?" I butted in on the conversation. "Right, no, they just thought I should get checked up. I just finished giving the police my statement." He told me looking in my eyes.

"But what happened?" Bobby asked. "It was crazy, this lady hit this guy two days ago. She must have hit her head pretty bad, 'cause they found a brain bleed. Probably why she was so confused."

"And what about the guy in the windshield." I asked. "In surgery, docs say he's got a fair chance." Bobby looked at him and smiled, "It's cause you jumped in there and saved him. Probably didn't even occur to you to worry about yourself."

"Yeah, I know, I know, I didn't think, just rushed in like I always do. I guess it's like the uniform is my costume. You know, I put it on and suddenly I'm brave, and I'm strong, I make a difference. Feels like without it I'm not much of anything." Buck confessed.

I stepped back from them and went to the counter to talk with Paige. "So how's it going with you two?" She asked. "Couldn't tell ya. This is the first time I've talked to him since our little talk."

She looked at me with sad eyes. "Y/N, you leave for New York next week." I looked down. "Yeah. I do." She placed a hand on my shoulder, "Maybe it's time you talked." She looked at Buck who was walking over to us.

"Hello Evan Buckley, what can I do for you today?" Paige asked. I looked at her and smiled, "I'll leave now." She smiled.

"Hey," He said. "Hey." I said awkwardly, "Are you okay?" I asked hinting to his cuts. "Yeah, I should be." I looked down and smiled, "You always were a stubborn man." I laughed.

"Yeah, and my decisions always end with us in hospitals." He laughed. I looked up at him and smiled. "I mean we we met in a hospital, maybe that's something." He laughed. I shook my head about to say something crazy, "Do you wanna come help me pack up my apartment?" I blurted.

His face lit up, "I'd love to." He smiled widely. I returned the smile and we walked out of the ER...together.

We got to my apartment and we started to unpack boxes. Different things that we had gotten together were packed away and there was tape flying everywhere.

Buck was taping up a box labeled "Kitchen." His easy smile and bright blue eyes made me feel like everything was going to be alright, and things would work out. He started walking over to me. "We're almost done here. What's left?"

I took a deep breath, "Just a few more boxes in the bedroom. And then, we have to deal with the furniture."

Buck nodded. "Let's tackle the bedroom first. We can worry about the big stuff later."

We worked together in comfortable silence, packing away clothes, books, and mementos. I picked up a framed photo of us from a dinner at Bobby and Athena's.

It was a picture Eddie had taken of Buck, Christopher and I. It was the night we started dating. I  smiled at the memory, then carefully wrapped it in bubble wrap.

I laughed, not making eye contact with him. "You scared me, Buck. When I got that call from Paige..."

Buck's eyes softened. "I'm sorry, Y/N. I didn't mean to worry you. I guess I never changed my emergency contact information."

I took a deep breath, my emotions swirling. "It's okay. I guess I just thought I could hide that I didn't worry about you anymore. But the minute I got that call and heard your name I wanted to swerve my car right around and speed down the highway to get there to you." I confessed.

"Seeing you at the hospital, made me realize how much I still care about you. And made me realize that I have something to fight for." Buck confessed.

I squeezed his hand, feeling the warmth, "I've missed you, Buck. I've really missed you. I have spent countless nights awake in my bed worrying if you were okay." I teared up.

Buck's eyes met mine, a flicker of hope shining through. "I've missed you too. And I want to make this work, Y/N. Whatever it takes."

I nodded, grabbing his hand, "We'll figure it out. Long-distance isn't going to be easy, but if we both want this, we can make it work." I kissed his hand.

After a few hours, we had finally packed up the last box. Buck stretched, his shirt riding up slightly to reveal a sliver of his toned stomach. I couldn't help but smile at the sight.

"Alright," he said, clapping his hands together. "What's next?" I glanced around the now-bare apartment. "I guess we need to load up the furniture in the truck tomorrow."

Buck nodded. "I can get help with that. But I will gladly take your couch." He said flopping on the sofa. I sat next to him laying on him. "You still don't have a couch?" We laughed.

We spent the rest of the night reminiscing about the memories we had made in the apartment. Our first dinner together in the tiny kitchen, lazy Sundays on the couch, and late-night talks about our future.

It was now super late, I was exhausted but happy. I looked around at the almost empty apartment. This place had been my home for so long, and now it was time to say goodbye.

Buck wrapped his arms around me from behind, resting his chin on my shoulder. "You okay?"

I leaned into him, taking comfort in his warmth. "Yeah, just a little emotional. It's a big change."

He kissed my cheek. "I know. But you're going to do amazing things in New York. And you'll always have me and the 118 on your side."

We stood there for a moment, holding each other, before Buck gently pulled away. "Come on," he said, taking my hand. "Let's get some rest. Tomorrow's a big day."

We settled down on my bare bed, I curled up next to Buck, feeling a mixture of excitement and anxiety about the future. As I drifted off to sleep, I thought about my new job, the new city, and the adventures that awaited us both.