21

The plane touched down at JFK Airport, and I felt a mix of relief and sadness wash over me.

The cab ride to my apartment was quiet, the city's familiar sights flashing by the window. I tried to focus on the positives.

When I arrived at my apartment, I was greeted by the comforting familiarity of my home. The city skyline was visible through the living room window, and the hustle and bustle of New York provided a sense of normalcy. I took a moment to appreciate being back before diving into the task of unpacking.

I looked around and was constantly reminded of Buck. The pictures of us filled my apartment and little things he had sent me were scattered around the apartment.

As I unpacked, I found little reminders of Buck—a sweatshirt he had left behind, a book we had both enjoyed, and a framed photo of us from our engagement. I smiled sadly, placing the items in a box I found and labeled it "Buck."

Over the next few days, I threw myself into my work at the hospital. My colleagues welcomed me back with open arms, and the challenging cases kept my mind occupied.

One evening, as I drove home from the hospital, I received a call from Paige. "Hey, how's it going?" Paige asked, her voice filled with concern.

"It's going," I replied, managing a small smile. "Work is keeping me busy, which helps. But I miss him, Paige. It's hard."

"I know it is," Paige said gently. "But you're strong, Y/N. You'll get through this. And remember, it's okay to take it one day at a time."

I nodded, even though Paige couldn't see me. "Thanks, Paige. I appreciate you checking in. It means a lot."

"Anytime," Paige replied. "And hey, don't forget to take care of yourself too. Maybe treat yourself to something nice, or take a day off to just relax."

"I'll try," I promised. "Thanks, Paige. I'll talk to you soon."

Back in my apartment, I started to make small changes—rearranging furniture, adding new decor, and creating a space that felt fresh

Days turned into weeks, and I found myself slowly healing. I stayed connected with the 118 through calls and messages, but I also made an effort to reconnect with friends in New York. I accepted invitations to dinners and events, allowing myself to be surrounded by support and friendship.

One night, as I sat on my balcony, looking out at the city lights, I realized I was beginning to feel more like myself again. The pain of the breakup was still there, but it was no longer all-consuming.

A few months had passed since I settled back in New York. The memories of Buck still lingered, but they were less painful now, a bittersweet reminder of a chapter that had closed.

One evening, after an exceptionally challenging day in the operating room, I was finishing up my notes when David, walked in. "Hey, Y/N," David said, leaning against the doorframe. "You were incredible today. That was a tough case."

"Thanks, David," I replied, giving him a tired smile. "You weren't too bad yourself."

He chuckled, stepping further into the room. "I was thinking, we've both had a long day. How about grabbing a drink? We deserve a break."

I hesitated for a moment, considering the offer. "You know what? That sounds great." We ended up at our cozy bar seat in and ordered drinks, settling into an easy conversation about work, life, and everything in between.

"So, Y/N," David said after a while, leaning back in his chair. "I've been meaning to ask—what brought you to New York?"

I took a sip of my wine, contemplating how much to share. "It's a long story," I said. "So I've heard." He laughed, do you know me well enough to share it now?" He asked.

I smiled at him, "I suppose." I sipped my wine and began.